What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M24 Handle with unusual stamp

jeeeensy

Had this for a while and only just noticed the makers stamp..
I bears the WW1 stamp of 5 1/2 SEK AEG

With date of 1935 after the AEG,, in full,, 5 1/2 SEK AEG 1935.
It started life as a M24 Ubung, you can make out the red paint near top collar. Has any one else seen one like this ?

sorry about the quality of image, look closeley and you can see stamp.

Regards Nick

Attachments

• PC070013.jpg
    PC070013.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 48
  • PC070009.jpg
    PC070009.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 57
  • PC070012.jpg
    PC070012.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited by a moderator:
I cant see the 1935 date, but if it really has it it is a very rare handle cause Germans not started to mark ammo with year until 1936, the letter code for 1935 was G. It is very rare to see items marked with a date before 1936.

I cant see the 1935 date, but if it really has it it is a very rare handle cause Germans not started to mark ammo with year until 1936, the letter code for 1935 was G. It is very rare to see items marked with a date before 1936.

Hi Miguel,, I will clean it up a bit and take some better photos, definalty a 1935 date stamp. and now have just took a closer look and there is a waff stamp also and some more lettering further round the handle...stay tuned,,,,,

regards Nick

Ahhh HA! found out other stamps,,,, it is double stamped ,, and the second set of stamps are the same as in photo from another handle I have. i cant see any other number after the number 4 but if i remove the collar and there are crimp marks this would prove it was in service around 42/3 onwards. strange,, regards Nick ,,, time for J/D :xd:

Attachments

• DSC00496.JPG
    DSC00496.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 42
Whole orchestra is waiting for clear pictures I think... :argh:

indeed ,, but i need to figure out how to work the damn camera on macro :)

I'l give it a light clean to remove build up of residue then take photo's under the magnifier glass. never seen a handle like this before,,strange.

regards nick,

Hi Nick,
Can you see what is 3rd letter after "dp" in the 43-stamp? Is it possivly "l". Anyway list of WaA-numbers does not know any maker's code "dp?" in combination.

The other marking looks quite typical WW1 marking, but the year???. Could it be possible that an early M/24 still has old style marking?

I have seen some other stuff marked with year instead of letter code in early 30's.

indeed ,, but i need to figure out how to work the damn camera on macro :)

I'l give it a light clean to remove build up of residue then take photo's under the magnifier glass. never seen a handle like this before,,strange.

regards nick,

When all else fails, Read the manual. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

When all else fails, Read the manual. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

aahhh ha! R.T.F.M yup :tinysmile_tongue_t:

....I'll get round totaking a photo of the other stamp soon, it is quite faded and hard to see, i dont want to cleant it and then loose the second set of stamps so bear with me,,may have to take it to a freind who can phot it under a scope, regards nick

Just sussed out the camera settings for super macro, so here are the piccs of the other stamp and the AEG stamp. They are faint but are there so look closely :nerd:

It looks like :

db :thefinger: 43 ( not quit a waff stamp but as near as i could find )

Regards Nick

Attachments

• PC250005 B .jpg
    PC250005 B .jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 14
  • PC250003.jpg
    PC250003.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 13
Also this stamp on another i have. only one letter different. any ideas ?
the stamp is quite deep so if it were a mis stamp you would see a partial letter, but it is clear that there is no other b in front of it .. regards nick

Attachments

• PC250010.jpg
    PC250010.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 8
  • PC250009.jpg
    PC250009.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 22
looking closer at waffen stamp,, looks like same maker codes ,,maybe different factories.
regards nick

Nick,
This combitation of markings looks very suspiceous.
-First a maker's code "dp" does not exist in lists - there should be a third letter ( could be dpl on the stick ).
-Second ( I can't see the WaA number clearly ) if WaA is 135 it has not recorded in combination with any "dp?" maker's stamp. If WaA is 435 it has not recorded at all in lists.
Here a good link to a list showing maker's codes and WaA-numbers in combinations:
http://claus.espeholt.dk/mediearkiv/waae.pdf
Naturally the list is not complete but gives agood idea. Some 20 years ago there was a dealer in Germany who made codes and WaA-stamps on fake items, he often used non-existing codes and numbers.

These bdp 43 handles have a little problem, seems that there are a few faked, but they exists in real life, the pic posted by me was copied from a complet series of pics from that grenade, it was totally original. I post here another bdp, but this time from 1942.

Attachments

• bdp 1942.jpg
    bdp 1942.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 11
Miguel,
Can you read what WaA-number is in your bdp 43 stick? WaA135 has not so far been recorded in hand grenade parts but firearm parts.

I looks like 136 the same as on mine.
also found a 582 stamp on a 1940 handle.
a 65 on RR 1940 handle 37 on the can,
but while looking about found a nice can marked 42 flf and bugger me the 42 flf stamped handle was with another can, quick swop around and a nice result.. cheers nick.

Last edited: