What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M51 Projectile

Gspragge

Premium Member
Does any one have information regarding the U.S. A.P. projectile M51 ?
Not the Capped versions M51B1 & B2 there is lots on those.
The M51 with the exception of an Aluminum cose cap/covering appears to be identical to the M80 AP.

Attachments

• 100_1716.jpg
    100_1716.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_1725.jpg
    100_1725.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 39
I will try to help with your question. Using U.S. TM 9-1904 Ammunition Inspection Guide dated 2 March 1944 page 335 there is a brief discussion in the differences of projectiles due to gun construction. It is confusing, as it appears that the guy that wrote it might have mixed the gun specifications back and forth. The manual states as follows:

"Differences in weapons also require variations in projectiles. For example, since the M4 (Aircraft) Gun is lighter than the M1A2 (Antiaircraft) Gun, the projectile of SHOT, AP, M80 is the same as the projectile SHOT, AP, M74, only shorter and lighter in weight. Another instance is in the case of SHOT, A.P.C. (Armor-piercing-capped), M59, which is similar to SHOT, A.P.C. M51, except that the chambering mechanism of the M1A2 Gun requires that the windshield of the M51, for the M3, M3A1, M5, and M6 Guns, be omitted in the projectile for the antiaircraft gun."

I will see if I can find anything else in other manuals.