What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help identifying a few Japanese bomb fuzes and components

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
All,

Photos are of the over all items for reference and individual items that need identification. Any help and references would be welcome!

Mike

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 97
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 115
Not the best photos for Id, but here are a few rough to get you started. There are a lot of possible variations, so take this ID with a grain of salt. Measurements and decent view are always helpful.

Top row of four items L-R: 1 - arming spindle for the fuze to the right of it, 2 - Type 99 No 80 MK5 bomb tail fuze, 3 - looks like the Type 99 No 25 Ordinary Bomb tail fuze, but the angle makes it tough, 4 - arming spindle.
Second row of 6: 1 - Type 12th Year Instantaneous Tail Fuze, 2 - Type 15 Model 1 Tail Fuze, 3 - Type 1 Instantaneous Nose Fuze, 4 - Type 3 Model 1 Small Instantaneous for the 1/2kg sub, 5 - projo fuze, need a better view to be sure - looks like one of the "combination" fuzes, but a smaller top piece than normal, 6 - bomb fuze, but doesn't ring a bell. may need to do some research on this one.
Bottom row of three items: 1 - Type 97 MK2 Model 2 Nose Fuze, 2 - Type 1 Model 2 Nose fuze, 3 - not sure, the red paint is typical of Navy markings to identify model variations, but don't immediately recognize this one.

Thanks. I should have been more clear. With the pubs I had on hand I was able to identify everything but the items shown in the individual photos. The stuff with tags were ID'd.

Jeff, I thought the fuze and the arming spindle would go together but they don't match up. Is there a coupler that is missing?

There is a shaft that connects the spindle and the fuze, off the top of my head I'd say it is about 18-inches. Minen raises a good point, I cannot remember seeing the third item before, and the blades also look similar to some Italian pieces. I have the first fuze as the Type 99 No. 80 MK5.

Thanks. I should have been more clear. With the pubs I had on hand I was able to identify everything but the items shown in the individual photos. The stuff with tags were ID'd.

Jeff, I thought the fuze and the arming spindle would go together but they don't match up. Is there a coupler that is missing?

What did you ID the bottom right projo fuze as?

I didn't but it appeared to have British markings. There is also a Russian WWI PTTF fuze.

As for the item in the 3rd pic. It doesn't appear to thread into anything and I told the guys yesterday that it was my guess that it was a transverse fuze for a destructor type system so I guess we are getting close.

Besides the fuze manual that you have already been given the link for try checking out my photo gallery as you will see the majority of these fuzes there along with a wee bit of basic information.

The link to my photo of the B-2(a) IJN bomb fuze is: http://www.bocn.co.uk/gallery/showimage.php?i=9739&c=736

Gallery link is: http://www.bocn.co.uk/gallery/browseimages.php?c=736

Here is my post on the B-2(a) fuze which you should find informative: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...-Navy-B-2(a)-Mechanical-Impact-Tail-Bomb-Fuze

The red tipped projectile fuze stumps me but as US-Subs mentions the red is used to indicate an internal variation in IJN fuzes that would otherwise look the same. A classic example is the IJN Type 91 Projectile Fuze and the IJN Type 0 Projectile Fuze where the only external extinguishing factor is the red nose cone.

Last edited: