What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News: German UXB tragedy

This calamity is on the news here all the time. Apparently the bomb was brought there from a distant, unknown construction site. The property was rented out to store construction debris from all over the town of Euskirchen. A police spokesman said, that it may never be known from what place it actually came.
Bellifortis.

Hello,

It would be very intersting to know what type of bomb (and fuze) is behind this accident.

Regards

I know your all curious but i honestly don't think that people should be speculating on what could or could not have caused this incident ,leave the detective work to the police and other authorities who will be officially investigating what has happened,
like i said in my previous post a family has lost a loved one and others are seriously injured surely our thoughts should be with them

Hello Spotter,

Sorry If my thread was inappropriate but it' s really not misplaced curiosity. I'm a professionnal and every accident with unexploded ordnance is seen as a new threat to the entire corporation. So it is clear that we must react quickly to such an accident does not happen again.
In France, diggers and farmers often have accidents but each time without gravity.

Best Regards.

Today my local newspaper headlined an articel: "Euskirchener bomb identified as british HC 40009 LB MK IV". How they got that numeral 9 added, I have no idea. That's the problem with reporters, they very often write about things they know nothing about. I have learned to read between the lines and verify an info from many sources. Here it is just a stupid mistake, I hate it when I feel that I'm lied to on purpose, which is happening more and more often. The nice book, by Mr.Voss, British bombs up to 1945, that I bought many years ago, shows the bomb with 3 nose pistols No.42. Was this pistol always used with this model? I must admit, that for the uninitiated this model does not look like a bomb and can be mistaken easily for a large boiler or an industrial reactor body. Some days ago the same newspaper reported that people called the EOD (they have to drive here from a town 50 miles away) who identified the object as a bowling ball. That is what a bomb looks like to the "normal" people. The Brgermeister fears that 100ds of Millions of Euros in damages have occured.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Hi Bellfortis
The No 42 was not the only Pistol used in the 4000 lb HC Mk. IV bomb: the others were; the No. 27, the No. 36 (unconfirmed), the No. 44, the No. 47 and the No. 55.
I hope this helps.
Regards
eodda

It's amazing how something the size of a Cookie could be scooped up and dumped there unnoticed.

But it just goes to show how dangerous WW2 ordnance still is. I've often heard people say 'Ahh, it's old and rusty, it can't possibly be dangerous any more'.

I admire today's EOD squads as much as their WW2 predecessors.

i am curious what the official report will say because i cant help thinking that a HC 4000 LBS would flip that digger over easily.
My heart goes out to all that were hurt during this accident, a grim reminder that UXBs stay dangerous.