What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 30 Mk I Grenade

sgtlynn

A couple of photos of one of my last aquisitions.
30_2.jpg

BRITISH GRENADES

NOMENCLATURE: Grenade Hand or .303 Rifle No. 30 (Humphries' Pattern)

SERVICE: Land

TYPE: Percussion, Rodded

FILLED WEIGHT: 21.25 ounce with 5.75 inch rod

EXPLOSIVE CONTENT AND WT OF EXPLOSIVE: 1.25 ounces Ammonal, Alumatol, Amatol

PRINCIPAL DESIGN FEATURES: Small oval cast iron body with threaded boss to receive the detonator in a central channel and also a wing not forming the attachment for the rifle rod when used. Fitted with a ball and cone type of"Allways" fuze, using a safety tape, and covered with an alloy cap before use. Ignition by percussion cap and No. 6 Detonator.

MARKING:

1 Still under consideration at
the end of the war, and not
finally accepted for service,
although a number had been
issued for troop trials in
1917 and 1918.

no_30.jpg

Very nice rare item, I have only seen one in a museum. It's good to think that these items are out there and still turn up from time to time, thanks for sharing the pics with us, Tony.

Thanks, I was surprised it turned up but was very pleased it did :cheer: Very lucky on the price as well. I had to add a 5.5 inch rod, which fortunately I happened to have. Now all I need is an original tape and cap. Ok so I am dreaming..........

There's nothing wrong with dreaming it's what makes us enjoy collecting so much :laugh:

Great grenade :woohoo:

Investment wrote:
There's nothing wrong with dreaming it's what makes us enjoy collecting so much :laugh:

Great grenade :woohoo:
And not only that, but I bet there will be one out there somewhere !:eek:hmy:

No 30 Grenade

A couple of photos of others just to show that the one previously for sale on milweb (shown in the next post below by spotter) post looks genuine and a sectioned version to show what the innards should look like.

View attachment 83535View attachment 83534

Attachments

• No30Sectioned.JPG
    No30Sectioned.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 21
  • NO30.jpg
    NO30.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
The attached images were sent to me by James Thomas to share with bocn members

Attachments

• gren 001.jpg