What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No.5 Director Tripod

cyclops

Hi, I recently acquired a No.5 gun director made by Ottway and dated 1917. It appears complete appart from missing the rubber eyepiece. There is a triangular adaptor with leveling screws but no means of attaching to a tripod which I assume would be required for it's use. I would like to know what type/mark of tripod would be used and what the attachment to the tripod would look like. I have found some info' on the Royal Artilery webside but the picture is too small to see any detail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
:smile:

Hi, I recently acquired a No.5 gun director made by Ottway and dated 1917. It appears complete appart from missing the rubber eyepiece. There is a triangular adaptor with leveling screws but no means of attaching to a tripod which I assume would be required for it's use. I would like to know what type/mark of tripod would be used and what the attachment to the tripod would look like. I have found some info' on the Royal Artilery webside but the picture is too small to see any detail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
:smile:
According to the Handbook of Artillery Instruments 1914:

The "Stand, No 5 Director, Mark I" is generally similar to the "Stand, Artillery Rangefinder", with the pivot and portions above it removed. With the exception of the shoes, no parts are made of iron or steel, which might affect the compass. The top of the base plate has a central hole through which the clamping bolt passes. Four brass radial strips, which fit into four grooves on the base of the director, are fixed to it.

A wooden case, with carrying strap, is provided to take the stand.

Exterior dimensions of case 37 1/4. X. 9 x 9 inches

Weight of stand in case 23 lbs. 13 oz

There are a couple of plates in the handbook which might be helpful. I will try to photograph them when I get time.

Holly Cramp - That's a real thing of Beauty, I had no idea they were like that, sure makes the later versions look like poor cousins--

Hi, I had to have it as soon as I saw it, the asking price was 150 and I managed to get it for 100! On the down side there is no tripod and the rubber eyepieces have gone. There is some debris on the lenses and cross hairs but that should clean o.k. There is an earlier version on e-bay U.K. and there is one on Google from a U.K. dealer complete with tripod for 750! I think that's a bit over the top but it is a nice bit of kit to have.

Hi, Many thanks for the info', I'll have to find a copy of that manual. From odd pictures I'd previously found I located a "Stand Instruments No.13 (New Zealand) dated 1943 which appeared similar. This came with a canvas and leather case. Your information confirms that they are quite similar, I'll just have to make a new fitting for the top to fit the director. There is a 3 legged leveling device included in the box which I assume is to allow use on a table. Thanks again for the info. What a wonderful tool the internet is. Thanks again, Mick