What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oerliken 20mm Mk 26 Fuze

Weasel

Premium Member
Can anyone help with further info on this? I will also post a picture of a another Mk26 the type more usually seen. I have a feeling its naval but not sure. It is stamped as seen MK.26 .R.R with no stamps or markings on the internal section.
sale_items_03611.jpg

Re:Oerliken 20mm Mk 26 Fuse

Here is a picture of the more common type for comparison. Another Mk 26 Stamped Mk XXV1 MOD.B AC LOT 293.

Does anyone know what the internal piece is in this fuse....? it is the only one i have seen of this type. I have found it very difficult to find anything out.
Someone, anyone....

Weasel.

sorry weasel i have no idea..it looks same as one i have but mine is un-stamped

Does this help at all ? shows fuse internals, Tony.
20mm.jpg

Thanks for the picture roller, it gives a clear picture of the more common type with the cup to hold the detonator and the shaped compression ring above above. This is about the only picture i have been able to find myself showing any US oerlikon fuses. Maybe one of the US members can come up with something..? Initially i thought it may have been a headlight tracer but have never seen one or picture of one so don't know, and i would imagine that they would not have a conventional fuse cap.
Weasel.

The picture that Roller63 posted is from the
'Handbook and drill for 20m.m. Oerlikon Machine Gun, Marks II, II U.S.N. and IV U.S.N. on Marks I,IIA,IIIA, IV, U.S., V U.S., VIIA and VIIIA Mountings' B.R. 274/43.

Quatermass

Thanks Quatermass, I will try and track down a copy if i can. Would be a useful reference.
Weasel.

Hi weasel I think you will find that the internal piece (tapered washer) is in fact a "focus" plate that directs the air that is compressed on impact into the initiator thus making the fuze more "sensitive" - hope this helps.
Weasel wrote:
Does anyone know what the internal piece is in this fuse....? it is the only one i have seen of this type. I have found it very difficult to find anything out.
Someone, anyone....

Weasel.

Thanks for your post Chris, i think i have just confused matters by posting two pics. it is the internal section in the first pic that i am unsure of, the second one was posted as a comparison. But thanks for the info i often wondered what affect the tapered washer had on the action of the fuse.
Weasel.