What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIAT carry tubes

GeoffW

Evening everyone.. What a great site this is. If there is something you need to know about ordnance, then is the place to come... I am trying to make up some PIAT cardboard triple carry tubes for my display. I have googled in the usual way, but cannot find any good clear pictures of any stencil marks the tubes may have or detailed pictures and information of the end caps... If there is anyone out there lucky enough to own a set of these and is willing to share this information, I would be forever grateful...
Many thanks in advance..

Geoff

Welcome to the site. I believe that the PIAT tubes are the same as the 3inch mortar tubes.

Yep, thanks for that.. The make up is virtually the same, but the end caps are embossed INF PROJ.. Inside the cap is a protrusion to fit into the end of the round... I need clear pics for dimensions etc Also, what was stencilled on the tubes??
Cheers
Geoff

3 inch tubes are usualy marked with a blob of colour rather than any stenciling, yellow for smoke etc. The IWM has a good archive of PIAT pictures.

Geoff . Page 574 of David Gordon's excellent book " Weapons of the WW2 Tommy " has some fine pictures of the PIAT transit tubes . I believe David is a member of this forum & may be able to assist you with further info . Mike.

Hope this helps. I repainted the end caps as they were rusty. The cardboard tubes have no stenciling but do have a blob of silver paint - not sure what that meant.

Attachments

• piat002_zps5ea6e2e3.jpg
    piat002_zps5ea6e2e3.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 7
  • piat005_zpsae1f08b9.jpg
    piat005_zpsae1f08b9.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 6
  • piat007_zpsc26c6f98.jpg
    piat007_zpsc26c6f98.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 10
  • piat009_zps584a13a0.jpg
    piat009_zps584a13a0.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Geoff.

Do you also need the dementions of the end caps ?
I don,t have a carrier, but only two end caps in My collection.

Please let me know.
I also have a few end caps of the 3 inch carrier, so you can see the difference between the two.

Kind regards Jan

Wow!!.. Fantastic pictures and a great set of very very rare tubes... Thanks for spending time posting these, I'm sure there are many out there that appreciate these.. Just to be a little more of a pain!! Do you have any pictures of the inside of the lid with "nipple" please.. (not asking much am I!!! sorry) That would really complete my day...
Again, fantastic.. Cheers Geoff

Cheers Jan.. I do have several sets of 3" tubes.. But, yes I would like some pics of the PIAT ones please... Many thanks Geoff

Hi Jeff... More of a pain... could you please tell me the size of the lettering on the end cap? mm please Cheers Geoff

Here you go. If anyone knows the meaning of the paint blobs on the cardboard let us know!

Attachments

• piatinside002_zps3d49238c.jpg
    piatinside002_zps3d49238c.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 13
  • piatinside004_zps0e9423f2.jpg
    piatinside004_zps0e9423f2.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 15
  • piatinside005_zpseae704ed.jpg
    piatinside005_zpseae704ed.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello
Some photos of a container of PIAT and metal box C224.How was set the rack in the container because it is shorter than the box?
Barnabé

rack piat.jpg
C224.jpg

I once had these. Lots of stencils, but I only have this one photo so I can't be of any further help regarding the size of the stencils.
PIAT.jpg