What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

Join over 14,000 collectors of inert military ordnance. Get expert identification help for shells, fuzes, grenades, and more — plus access our classifieds marketplace and decades of archived knowledge. Free to register, takes seconds.

Please help identify country of origin of a Bofors L/70 (40x365) drill round, blank and clip

Linkman

Member
I have an unmarked drill and inert blank for, I think, Bofors L/70 (40x365). The drill has a green 'case' with elongated neck and screw-on nose - non-metallic (possibly High‑Density Polyethylene HDPE), with non-magnetic base/rim and a threaded longitudinal rod securing the nose. No markings whatsoever. Its proportions are generally consistent with the other two drills I have (British all-steel L20A1 and German? rubber 'Exercise' round).

The black unfired blank, inerted by drilling & emptying the case, is plastic. Base/rim is magnetic. Overall length ~435mm.

A country of origin, manufacturer and designation number would be very welcome.Bofors 40_70 drill #0.JPGBofors 40_70 drill #1.JPGBofors 40_70 drill #2.JPG

These are shown on a clip for stability when photographing. The clip has a manufacturer's logo... unknown to me - can anyone identify that also, please ?
 

Attachments

  • Bofors 40_70 drill #5.JPG
    Bofors 40_70 drill #5.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • Bofors L70 clip.JPG
    Bofors L70 clip.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
I have an unmarked drill and inert blank for, I think, Bofors L/70 (40x365). The drill has a green 'case' with elongated neck and screw-on nose - non-metallic (possibly High‑Density Polyethylene HDPE), with non-magnetic base/rim and a threaded longitudinal rod securing the nose. No markings whatsoever. Its proportions are generally consistent with the other two drills I have (British all-steel L20A1 and German? rubber 'Exercise' round).

The black unfired blank, inerted by drilling & emptying the case, is plastic. Base/rim is magnetic. Overall length ~435mm.

A country of origin, manufacturer and designation number would be very welcome.View attachment 211772View attachment 211773View attachment 211774

These are shown on a clip for stability when photographing. The clip has a manufacturer's logo... unknown to me - can anyone identify that also, please ?

Very nice L70 Bofors shown.
I also would like to know the black Blank maker. I have a red one made by Geco but no blue base (it does wear off). Also no primer stabs like yours.
I also show a Drill from Sweden using the red case and a weighted wooden green projectile. (came from Sweden). Blue base.
I think it is by Geco ?

I also stray by showing two similar 40mm L60 Bofors .
Headstamped with no blue base by Geco . The other has a blue base and no headstamp. Both with no primer stabs.
I guess these are also both by Geco?.

I know Bakelittfabrikken made black plastic 25mm Blanks so did they also make 40mm Bofors black Blanks?
 

Attachments

  • L 70 a.jpeg
    L 70 a.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 19
  • L70 b.jpeg
    L70 b.jpeg
    529.7 KB · Views: 19
  • L 60 a.jpeg
    L 60 a.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 15
  • L 60 b.jpeg
    L 60 b.jpeg
    522.1 KB · Views: 18
I found this Blue Short-range Bofors L/70 in the collection with the 3 primer stabs but it is not blue base.
Short like your black Blank and ID is from Bakelittfabrikken Norway. (BF).

Since both items are shorter overall I would now guess it is by BF? I am still uncertain who made your Blank.
 

Attachments

  • L70 S:range.jpeg
    L70 S:range.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 5
  • L70 Base.jpeg
    L70 Base.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 5
I found this Blue Short-range Bofors L/70 in the collection with the 3 primer stabs but it is not blue base.
Short like your black Blank and ID is from Bakelittfabrikken Norway. (BF).

Since both items are shorter overall I would now guess it is by BF? I am still uncertain who made your Blank.
Thanks for this steer - I've just done a quick web search on Bakelittfabrikken and turned up some recent company literature at www.nammo.com

"Nammo Aurskog is located 50 kilometers northeast of Oslo.

Founded in 1946, the company has long been a pioneer in thermoplastic products and processes. Originally known as “Bakelittfabrikken,” it both invented and became the first company to produce Plastic Blank Ammunition and Plastic Short Range Training Ammunition.

Nammo acquired the facility in 2005, and in 2017 it was merged with Nammo Raufoss AS."

Their Ammunition Handbook (pdf available online) lists a 40mm L60 Salute Plastic Blank Ammunition (screenshot here), but not an L70. Getting closer...

nammo 40mm plastic L60 blank.JPG
 
Top