What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please ID this 30mmx173 round

cannonmn

Please ID the round in middle with white plastic projectile and metal foil? band around lower section. Date? Purpose? The bottom of projectile is closed by a convex stainless steel plate. No marks on ours except for black magic marker test event numerals on the side of projectile body. Don't have my own pic so this one is cropped from Slick Rick's posting on CCF in 2010.

img_0614.jpg

It's a 30mm Goalkeeper
Thanks. Do I assume that's the primary tactical anti-missile round? Is the "foil" band there to help the radar see it? It looks. Like a non-discarding sabot? If so I wonder why they did that vice an apds?

The Goalkeeper's standard ammo is APDS - technically MPDS for Missile Piercing Discarding Sabot.

The polymer sabot is usually red in colour (see 4th from the left below):

ModNaval30-40mm.jpg

The purpose of the silver 'foil' is to find the sabots back on board of ships, After firing the goalkeeper (which are often mounted on the aft decks of ships) the sabots may litter the back decks which are often the helikopter decks. These sabots can be sucked into the air intake of helikopters, damaging the turbines. The silver foil band lights up brightly when black light shines over the deck, enabeling the sabots to be found an thrown overboard.

Thanks. Now I'll go surfing for a pic of a cutaway projectile or X-ray view to see how the sabot is encouraged to separate on muzzle exit. With 20mm Phalanx-type sabots the pleated design is fairly obvious regarding separation but this 30mm projectile must have some weak points beneath the surface. ?

It does, it's the other way around from the Planlanx 20mm. There the weakening rim is near the centre (around the core), here it's four points where the sabot outer surface is just one mm thick

Regards, DJH