What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing surface rust & mud/clay like concrete.

My title pretty much says it all, I'm looking for the best way to mainly remove baked on mud, it's set like concrete so any help would be fantastic. Thanks.

I guess it depends on what the mud/ruts is baked onto and where it is. If its in the sea then I would imagine it'll be different to something on land and the item may need treating to remove the salts from the metal otherwise it'll fall to bits when exposed to the air.
If you're not sure what it is or you suspect its an item of ordnance then don't touch it.
Dave.

What is it you are trying to clean?
Asking for advice on baked on mud on an ordnance forum without any explanation about what it is you are trying to clean is really only ever going to result in the answer, as in Dave's post above ; DO NOT TOUCH IT!!
Kev

Dave/Kev,

This chap is in the army (from his introduction post) so probably knows what a piece of ordnance is!

Leroy,

On this forum we try to be clear and precise as to what we say and if you are looking for information on something a picture always helps. But as a reminder no pictures of live or suspect items are to be posted (review the site rules) and just because someone is in the services it is no guarantee that they know much about ordnance. Please make sure you state that items you are asking about are inert. If in doubt contact the appropriate authorities and as has been said, do not touch.

Enjoy the forum.

D

Gent's, I am indeed quite aware of the dangers posed from munitions and anything I wasn't sure of I wouldn't be anywhere near, and I do not know everything about munitions, The item in question is the weighted part of a inert 1980 RAF practice bomb 28lb (been used as a doorstop at work for god knows how long) now I'm looking at removing rust mainly but when inspected upclose, there is mud in places that has set. The item is in rough condition and I'm just looking to tart it up, it is quite interesting. I primered it before but have since removed this as I'm not happy with the imperfections. The primered item is the one in question (as posted before) the second picture is property of Tomsk. Thanks 20150120_144154.jpgP1000837.JPG

Last edited: