What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian 50mm O-822 series

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

Need help to understand russian 50mm O-822 family regarding external differences.

On pictures two different design.
-1 round head and visible groove on the top of tail.
-2 streamlined one piece body.

In my doc all 50mm are made with one-piece body (O822, O822a, O822sh)

Regards

50fuzes.jpgrussmorts.jpg

It looks like both of mine are a third type: single piece body with six fins.

Attachments

• IMG_3160.jpg
    IMG_3160.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 89
Quote from GRAU:
53-О-82250-мм осколочная мина (шестиперая) черт. 2-06067 (стальная), 2-06010 (сталистого чугуна)
53-О-822А50-мм осколочная мина (четырехперая, сталистого чугуна) черт. 2-8308
53-О-822Ш50-мм осколочная мина

Last edited:
There were 3 types of these 50mm mortar rounds
6 fins with solid body (no groove means the fins can't be disassembled - unscrewed)
6 fins with separate fins
4 fins with solid body
Some used M50 fuze with bakelite reduction but mostly they were used MP-82 bakelite fuzes.
M1 fuze seems to be the rarest of all.

Russian 50mm mortar rounds.jpgYou see the M-1 fuses stuck on top of Russian 45mm high explosive shells in the US. I have never seen a document that shows this as proper. I have seen documents showing M50 fuses (with the bakelite adapter) on top of 45mm HE shells is a proper combination. Does anyone have a Russian document showing the M-1 fuse and its proper use on 50mm mortar rounds? I found a supply of 50mm rounds captured and remarked by the Germans.

Last edited:
This is field knoledge M8owner but I will look for documentation for you.
I've never met 45mm HE shells with M1 fuzes so this is weird :) I've seen only KTM-1, KTM-3 or M50.

I now have quite a few spare, nice 1939 dated Russian 50mm mortar rounds in the US with M-1 and M-50 fuses in case anyone wants to trade.

Here a picture showing several fuzes.

Attachments

• naku-2.jpg
    naku-2.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Tmine35 nice photos. Any documentation about the M-1 fuzer usage in Soviet Mortaes?
Is this a proper soviet 50mm mortar box?

I have a Finnish manual, dated 1941. The document says that fuzes were in use: M-50, M-1, MP.

The box is original for 50mm mortars. They also had a wooden box for 14 shells, however I have never seen a wooden box.

I have a Finnish manual, dated 1941. The document says that fuzes were in use: M-50, M-1, MP.

The box is original for 50mm mortars. They also had a wooden box for 14 shells, however I have never seen a wooden box.

Could you share the manual with us?

I have noticed in the batch of 50mm Russian mortar rounds that I just received that the M-1 fuses do not fully seat into all the bodies. The fuse sticks up too high - approximately 1/8 inch or 3mm. I noticed in Tmine35's photos above that all the M-1 fused examples seem to have washers to fill in that gap.