What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staines Projectile Co. Ltd

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
I've just picked up a 4.5 inch HE howitzer shell, presented by the Staines Projectile Co. Ltd. Does anyone have any information on this company?

Whereas it is easy to find details of small arms cartridge manufacturers, the makers of larger calibre items appear to have been forgotten - apart from the well known ones like RL etc. There must have been hundreds of local engineering firms who were involved in this business - which might also be the problem. Does anyone know where this kind of information can be found?

Many thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,
Only thing I can tell you is the company's registration number is 141564 and The National Archives at Kew have more info.

BD

I've just picked up a 4.5 inch HE howitzer shell, presented by the Staines Projectile Co. Ltd. Does anyone have any information on this company?

Whereas it is easy to find details of small arms cartridge manufacturers, the makers of larger calibre items appear to have been forgotten - apart from the well known ones like RL etc. There must have been hundreds of local engineering firms who were involved in this business - which might also be the problem. Does anyone know where this kind of information can be found?

Many thanks, Dave
My Grandfather's business card states that he represented JA Fay Egan & Co., Sole Agents, The Projectile Co. Ltd, New Road, Wandsworth Road, London SW. He died in 1920 so I assume this represents a period between 1900 and 1920. Is this the same projectile company you are investigating and did you find out anything more about it, as I would like to know.

thanks for that Eric, it could very well be. The only document that Burney refers to is in the public records office so one day I shall pay a visit and read the document to see what it says. The firm was set up in 1915 but appears to have closed at the end of the war. Dave

Hi Dave
Nothing on Staines projectile company on google also looked at Ian Skennertons book British Small Arms of World war 2 to see if they had a code number which would be an S ???
cheers

Staines Prjectile Co. Ltd

Hello Everyone,
I am new and wanted to both greet the community and also ask a question about a photograph I have. I have a black & white panoramic photograph of the staff and employees of the Stained Projectile Co. Ltd, taken in May 1918. It measures 131 x 20 cm. It was taken by Panora Ltd. There are several rows of staff along the picture with senior personnel sat in the centre. There are examples of shells manufactured in the foreground. Is this an important photo or where many printed? I would appreciate your help.Thanks.
Anthony

Anthony,

The photo' was probably very expensive. I doubt very few have survived.

Staines Projectile Co., Ltd.
Factory Path,
Staines
Middlesex.
Phones: 140 and 150
T/A: Staines, Projectile Co., Ltd., Middlesex.

Manufacturers of 4.5” HE shells, 9.2” shells, aero engines and parts. Pedrail tractors and trailers.
Employees: Male 683, Female 223

The Staines Projectile Company was not connected to the Projectile Co. at Wandsworth. The company at Wandsworth was better known as the Projectile Engineering Co (Projenco) and was still in operation when I grew up in the area, except that I think they were making car chassis post war. I remember stacks of unfinished shell, probably 25 Pdr., being visible in their yard in the 1950s.

Regards
TonyE

Thank you Tim and Tony for the information. I will get in touch with the Staines Projectile Co and check if they have a print. I was always fascinated by the faces of those men and women that worked there back then - a lot of people who contributed to the war effort of WW1.

Thanks again. I will let you all know what I find out.
Anthony

Thankyou Tim for the information you kindly provided. I will research this and let you know what I discover.
Anthony