What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tiny Aerial Hand Bomb?

Pyrohd

Hi Members this is my first post.

My name is Tony and I live in Twickenham, England.

I have been a militaria collector for over 50 years (mainly bayonets and helmets) but I have boxes of all sorts of stuff.

I've had this little bomb for about 35 years and my guess was that it is a hand dropped bomb from WW1 . But I'm sure you know better.

It is a cast (iron?) body with tin (alloy) fins and measures 19 cm long with a about a 6 cm diameter at the thickest part of the body. It is painted a field grey and has ink markings on one fin - which look like "256'20".

It's very heavy- about 1100 grams - and is hollow - you can see through the base hole (about 2 cms diameter) to the small hole in the nose - about about 5mm.IMGP3219.jpgIMGP3221.jpgIMGP3222.jpg

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony

Thanks Siegfreid.

I suppose these were fitted with some kind of detonator to fire a blank? Were they thrown by hand?

Cheers,

Tony

Tony . They were more likely to have been used with wing racks & some contained a smoke charge to show where they had landed . If you ever go to the RAF Museum at Hendon , they have case with a selection of the various types . Mike.

Cheers Chaps,

I'm impressed - by both your knowledge and your helpfulness.

I'm in the process of thinning down a 50 year collection. Any idea what this little gem would be worth?

Thanks again for your help.

Tony