What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified artillery fuze

Martinez75

Can you help me with identification ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• P7190193.JPG
    P7190193.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 43
  • P7190194.JPG
    P7190194.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 60
  • P7190195.JPG
    P7190195.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 40
  • P7190196.JPG
    P7190196.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 31
  • P7190197.JPG
    P7190197.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 27
Looks like the head of a prussian M/1861 shell.
The shell was fired from a rifled breechloader
and used a leadshirt. The fuze was a part of the
shell. From inside you see the brass striker that
was secured by a pin. These pin fly off when the
shell left the barrel. The nosepiece is simply a
screwed in brass disc that keep the small knurled
primer screw.
These shells where made in 6, 12 and 24 pdr.
( 9, 12, 15 cm)

Last edited:
Can you clean the fuze head? to me the fuze hed does not appear the same as he drawing of the Krupp.
Regards,
John

Hi,

Could you please advise the approx. diameters of both the fuse base (screwed into the projectile) and the raised bit?

Looks similar to this one...

Cheers
Drew

BTW - these are old photos as the bit in the middle has been removed now!

Attachments

• DSCN3208.jpg
    DSCN3208.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN3209.jpg
    DSCN3209.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 24
Well this is the fuze.
John

Last edited by a moderator:
No,

the left picture shows a C/73 fuze. This was used with the new generation
M/1873 shells. They are different from the M/1861. They had an thin soldered on lead shirt. The iron shell body is smooth.
The shell in the middle is a C/61 design - using a cast arround thick lead shirt. The iron core is heavy serrated to hold the shirt.
The drawings showed that.
The C/61 is not really a fuze - like the C/73. It is called "Zndeinrichtung" Ignition device. The striker is in a hole of the shell head. This hole is closed by the brass screw that holds the knurled screw with primer.

Last edited:
Okay, just trying. The originator really needs to clean the fuze.
Humblely,
John

Hi John,

I like the c/73 "ignition" device!!! (wish I had one...:tinysmile_cry_t3:!!!)

and it does resemble the more "unloved", slightly rusted one

Hi Genkideskan,

You obviously know your Prussian fuses & artillery......any ideas then on my one (pictured) earlier in this thread? It was "stuck" on the bottom of the 1873 9cm time fuse which I posted a little while back.

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

any ideas then on my one (pictured) earlier in this thread? It was "stuck" on the bottom of the 1873 9cm time fuse which I posted a little while back.

Hi Drew,

this is the cap of an austo-hungarian M.75 percussion fuze - used on fragmentation shells for the 8 and 9 cm austro-hungarian M.75 steel-bronce field guns system Uchatius.

Hi Uchatius,

Thank you for the clarification - I always had a hunch that both fuses were related to the 9cm gun. The thing that concern me was when Dano mentioned about the differences in the thread sizes....makes sence if this is only the top "cap" and perhaps more of the bottom section of the fuse had the same thread diameter as the time fuse.
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3195.jpg
    DSCN3195.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 14
...ahh, nice piece. The upper is a M.75 Time Fuze from the same gun system. The tread sizes must be different. The percussion fuze was only used on HE fragmentation shells (cast iron with prefragmented iron rings inside). The time fuze instead only on shrapnells.

This cap of the percussion fuze is a single part which is not connected to the other fuze parts. If you want, I can show complete fuze.

If you got it in Australia - nice find! They are even in Europe not often found.

Unfortunately not found in Australia - picked it up at a Prague FleaMarket a long time ago, and yes I would say they are not common at all.

Here's a thread I posted on it a little while ago...

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/whats-wrong-fuse-t74170.html?t=74170

Yes could you please post a pic of the complete percussion fuse? I gather that there is a small centre piece that screws into the top. Here's the item after I finally removed the offending metal piece that held the two together........the "join" was very well done!
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3410.JPG
    DSCN3410.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN3204.jpg
    DSCN3204.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN3212.jpg
    DSCN3212.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 15
Here are the two pieces from my collection complete and cutted. This should explain how they worked...

Praque is the right place for these fuzes as it belonged to the austro-hungarian empire at the time when these fuzes were in service :tinysmile_twink_t:

Attachments

• M.75 Percussionszuender.jpg
    M.75 Percussionszuender.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 30
  • M.75 Zeitzuender.jpg
    M.75 Zeitzuender.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 28
Hi Uchatius,

Superb pieces!! - thank you for posting the pics - (I have tried to "google" for details of the fuses without must success......)

I have some other queries which I will PM you as we have "hijacked" this thread.....

Cheers
Drew