What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified Projectile

Investment

Hi,

Would someone know what type of projectile this is ?

Thank you,

Invest :)

Unidentified_Projectile__1_.jpg

Hi invest,

Just a helpful guide, when you post a question about 'What is it' could you please also include the following info if possible:-
Length with fuze:
Length without fuze:
Diameter of round: (just in front of the driving band)
No. of grooves in driving band: (if fired)
Weight:
Markings on Fuze:
Markings on projectile:

Photo of the base
Photo of the fuze
o/a photo

With all these details then someone might be able to ID the projectile.

Good point, but as these pics were passed on to me, unfortunately I can't help with any of the details you mentioned :)

To me it looks like a 18lber streamlined round,,but as NZL1a1 says measurements would be a big help . i have a photo of one we found somewhere ,ill try find it later for you to compare,heres a drawing from the textbook of ammunition 1936

Untitled146.jpg

Heres the one we found ,identified as 18lber streamlined,this was a bursting smoke round ,hence the filler hole

DSCI0063_a2822afb6acab238f0a0b884091ab044.jpg

I would have to agree with Spotter on this one, the driving band looks very similar in profile to that of a fired 18pdr. It's just very difficult to get an idea of size.
Weasel.