What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Brass Engine Start Cartridge

Depotman

Premium Member
I have a couple of these items; the common "CART ELEC ENG START No 10 Mk 1 1953", and a never previously seen "CART ELECT ENGINE START PEGASUS V K.6 K66/1". The latter has unusual double cannelure just above the base. I thought it referred to the Pegasus swivel thrust jet engine used on the Harrier, but a deep Google search didn't confirm this. Can anyone solve my conundrum?

Apologies - I forgot to add the picture of the "Pegasus" case!

Attachments

• DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0030.JPG
    DSC_0030.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0032.JPG
    DSC_0032.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0034.JPG
    DSC_0034.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Image of markings for the cartridge?

Might be the starter for the Pegasus 5 - which was used on the Kestrel.

TimG

@Depotman ,

A little while back I did some research on British (service) engine starter cartridges. I didn't come across any engine specific cartridges. I would suggest "Pegasus V" relates to the "Pegasus 5" engine. The Pegasus 5 was an developmental/experimental engine that led to 6 and subsequent models, as far as I can ascertain it was never a production engine. If the cartridge is for the Pegasus 5, it would appear it used a unique cartridge. As stated above, the Pegasus 5 was used on the Kestrel, the forerunner of the Harrier.

TimG

@Depotman ,

A little while back I did some research on British (service) engine starter cartridges. I didn't come across any engine specific cartridges. I would suggest "Pegasus V" relates to the "Pegasus 5" engine. The Pegasus 5 was an developmental/experimental engine that led to 6 and subsequent models, as far as I can ascertain it was never a production engine. If the cartridge is for the Pegasus 5, it would appear it used a unique cartridge. As stated above, the Pegasus 5 was used on the Kestrel, the forerunner of the Harrier.

TimG
Many thanks Tim; great research and a likely result. All it needs now is a definitive piece of evidence! It seems that the Harrier had an APU as an option for starting the engine, especially when away from a airfield, but I've yet to find out what started the APU.
Trevor