What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown hand grenade (poss F1?)

Ranger Jim

Ordnance approved
These photos are of a hand grenade of unknown origin which was found recently in Evansville, Indiana, USA. It is in the possession of the appropriate authorities. The photos were posted on an EOD site to which I belong for assistance in IDing the grenade.

It looks like a WW i French F1, but someone else on the site suggested that it might be Austrian. The fuze is the real mystery, as is the reddish orange color.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• Ukn_Grnd_1.jpg
    Ukn_Grnd_1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Unk_Grnd_2.jpg
    Unk_Grnd_2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Unk_Grnd_3.jpg
    Unk_Grnd_3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Unk_Grnd_4.jpg
    Unk_Grnd_4.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 75
Hi.
It is a French 1ww F1 with an unknown fuze. The red paint indicates a practice grenade.
I'll have a look at some pics later and see if i can identify the fuze for you.
Cheers, Paul.

Hi, it can also be Belgium, i am not sure but they used the same body as the French but different fuze, i agree with Paul that it is WW1 and Practice, Ben

Belgian

Have seen the exact grenade (but not red paint) with the same fuze advertised as Belgian WW1 grenade. I know this is not positive Id but have seen...Dano

This type of fuse on a French WW1 F1 appears in P. Delhomme's book on French grenades of WW1. It is described as a type of "Billiant" fuse. Tony.

DELHOMMe

Aah, the good old Delhomme book of WWI grenades. May be getting a bit dated, but what a wealth of information. I guess that would be a variant of the ever popular billiant fuze. I can see where some folks would think it to be Austrian, with the wire loop handle and all. I'll bet it is rare as hell, and I have a particular fondness of the French WWI F1 as it was the hand grenade used more by AEF than MK1 and MKII U.S. hand renades combined. Really nice find. I just hope someone ends up with it who can really appreciate it for the rare bird that it is, or is it something that will forever remain EOD property??????????????..... Very consise.Best to you and yours..................................Dano

Last edited:
This type of fuse on a French WW1 F1 appears in P. Delhomme's book on French grenades of WW1. It is described as a type of "Billiant" fuse. Tony.

Aah, the good old Delhomme book of WWI grenades. May be getting a bit dated, but what a wealth of information. I guess that would be a variant of the ever popular billiant fuze. I can see where some folks would think it to be Austrian, with the wire loop handle and all. I'll bet it is rare as hell..... Very consise...Dano

Well, the only example of Billant fuzes I could find were circa '16+ and they had solid handles, so this must be an early example. These folks aren't what you might call "collectors," per se, but I'll pass that along to them as well. :)

Thanks, and if anyone comes up with further info, I'd appreciate it.

Jim

RED practice French WWI defensive F1 beauty

Yeah Jim, This is a really nice one, and as you suspect probably earliest example of Billiant fuze. there are errors in the Delhome books but I suspect that this is not one of them, as I speculate that fuze is a rare critter (first i've seen). Seems eerie that they would put such an elaborate fuze on a practice grenade. Anyway that would be one worth going after if it is attainable. the paint is no doubt original and that piece has such a nice patina. Luck be to you...Dano

Last edited:
Hi Ranger Jim,

It's not a Billant Fuze but a test Fuze called "Muller". It has been tried for french army during the first war.