What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Ordnance Item British WW1 ?

roller63

Premium Member
Got this item the other day in a box of spare Grenade parts but I don't recognise it. All the other bits were WW1 British. It is made of brass and appears to have been blown out of something. No markings visible. Dimensions as per pics. Any ideas ? Tony.grens etc 040.jpggrens etc 039.jpggrens etc 038.jpggrens etc 037.jpggrens etc 035.jpg

It's the base plug of a No.85 fuze.

Tom.

Attachments

• No.85.jpg
    No.85.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply Tom, I don't collect fuzes, so now I know why I did not know what it was.

Or, in US parlance, an M1907M PTTF. Both seem to be close in design. yep and now that I looked it up, the No. 85 was based on the M1907M. No wonder it looked familiar:tinysmile_twink_t:. Cheers, Y'all, Bruce.

Or, in US parlance, an M1907M PTTF. Both seem to be close in design. yep and now that I looked it up, the No. 85 was based on the M1907M. No wonder it looked familiar:tinysmile_twink_t:. Cheers, Y'all, Bruce.

I believe that many, if not most (all?), No.85 fuzes were made in the US. I'm sure TimG will know. The attached show a Bethlehem Steel Corp. (BSC) manufactured 85, and a view of the left hand thread base plug.

Tom.

Attachments

• No.85_2.JPG
    No.85_2.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 20
  • No.85_1.JPG
    No.85_1.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 15