What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown projectile or armourers tool?

50CAL

Hi all,
Please see attached photos of my latest finds. Are they a Armourers tool,
50 cal projectile, AP core from a projectile, or something else?
They measure .4985 - .4990" in diameter, & 1.920" long. Not magnetic, heavy for their size but not made out of lead, possibly Stainless steel? They are threaded in the base with what looks like a 1/4" UNC or BSW thread.
The scale came off fairly easy with a bit of steel wool & water.
No markings at all, apart from what looks like scratches running down the sides from impact with something?
Definately WW2 era, judging from where they were found.

Attachments

• Resize of Unknown projectile 002.jpg
    Resize of Unknown projectile 002.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Resize of Unknown projectile 001.jpg
    Resize of Unknown projectile 001.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Unknown projectile 003.jpg
    Unknown projectile 003.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 66
Curious !

I am rather puzzled by the fact that you state they are "non magnetic" and rather heavy-yet they appear to have been rusted before you cleaned them up ?

Tungsten in general will not rust so I wonder what material they are made from ?
What is the typical weight of one of those "Cores" if indeed that is what they are.
Are they hardened ?

Chris it could be rust from whatever they were contained in - I've seen a few tungsten cores that have rust residue on them.....that comes off easily with a bit of sandpaper without damaging the core.
Dave.

ciao
I found this item some time ago....similar in shape and caliber, but magnetic
best regards

Attachments

• 12,7mm.jpg
    12,7mm.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 12,7mm fondello.jpg
    12,7mm fondello.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 13
Hi, They were not rusted as such, as there seems to be no break down of the parent metal. The scale seems to be just an accumulation of dirt & grime.
Going by my trouble & strifes kitchen scales, each weigh 85-90 grams or 3.2 oz.
I will try to get a more accurate measurement asap.
I gave on a bit of a touch up with a metal file. The metal is definately hard, producing very fine filings.