What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown (to me...) Grenade

Strummer

This has been in my parents' house since 1951... Can you tell me what it is, please ?

Attachments

• Ordnance0004.jpg
    Ordnance0004.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Ordnance0010.jpg
    Ordnance0010.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Ordnance0012.jpg
    Ordnance0012.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 68
Hi:
Is this the grenade in question? If yes, it is a different type than my Mills N 36 on the scale. For this the difference in weights.

Hi there, H & B as Spotter says.
Full details, Messrs Howard and Bullough Ltd, Globe Ironworks,Fountain Street and Charter Street Works, Accrington. In 1916 their phone no was 2121. They made 6 in shells, Mills Grenades, Exploder containers, Mine sinkers,Cast iron fuzes, Aircraft parts and before the war they madecotton spinning and manufacturing machinery. It was a big factory, employing over 4800 men and women[50/50] at its height of production

As for the blank in place of the filler screw, i reccon it was either made to replace the screw damaged in deactivation or it was originally like this. Cant really say. I have a moneybox no 5 with a similar blank.
hope this helps,

Andy

Last edited: