What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual 3-inch

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I was gifted this unusual US 3-inch Naval drill/training projectile yesterday. I do not recall ever seeing anything on it, does anyone have it in a publication? It appears very similar to the normal training projectiles, with the exception of the two forward bands, which are interrupted. It reminds me of the loading practice projectiles that were used by the Army with forward bands, but those were only on much larger projectiles (155mm, 175mm, 8-inch). Ideas?

DSCN2493.jpg

It is a 3 inch 70 cal projo, and with the forward bands, I believe it is UK origin. I haven't seen one with two forward bands before, only one. It looks like the Probert style 3.7 inch UK AAA projos with the forward bands. Both the UK and U.S. used the 3 inch 70 cal. It is probably a test/evaluation projo to evaluate the Probert design for that caliber.

Are there any ID stampings on it?

Probert:http://riv.co.nz/rnza/hist/local/qf37aa.htm

BOCN Probert:http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/4309-3.7-inch-AA-Mk6-Probert/page2

Last edited:
Gordon, the upper band on yours looks like the U.S. ones I've seen and have. I also have a UK one that has a steel upper band, designed to compress into a groove.

Interesting - I'd always read about Probert rifling as applied to the 3.7 inch Mk VI AA gun.

Did the US version use Probert rifling? How many other guns was it used in?

Tony,

The 3 inch 70 cal is the only U.S. gun that I know of that had a forward rotating band of Probert design. The U.S. version has the huge lower rotaing band crimped into the inside of the cartridge case, with just a ledge visible at the top of the case mouth. There are 3 rounds that were used by the U.S. that had a large rotating band located inside the case, the 3 inch 70 cal, the 76.2mm Oto Malera, and the 76mm HV tank gun that was used in the M41 Walker Bulldog tank. Some of the rounds for the U.S. 105mm tank gun have multiple smaller bands near the bottom of the projectile, with some of the bands located inside the case.

Tony,

The 3"/70 Mk 6 turret was fitted to HMS Blake and HMS Tiger. It was probert rifled.

I think the ammunition and barrel was a joint British and American development, but the US used a different mount to the British one.

The Canadian Navy also used the 3"/70 Mk 6 turret.

I have just picked up a 3/70 projectile the same as GSpragge shows. Does anyone know the manufacturer IMT ? This I am pretty sure a Canadian manufacturer as i have some more modern 76mm armdc projos from the same manufacturer IMT and maybe produced the next town over from me at Port Colborne drop forge.

Last edited:
IMT is assigned to Ingersoll Tool Company, Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada.

Last edited:
I particularly liked Hazord's Probert link in Dec 2011 which led to SG500's Cart 3.7Mk 6 HE. This is the best picture I have seen showing the flats on the forward driving bands and I was surprised to find that these were still being manufactured in 1952.

Thanks HAZORD. So the style of the one Gordon shows and mine are a Canadian/British design I suppose. I had wondered who this manufacturer was for some time. PC drop forge has been producing some of these shells, mortar shells etc. They are shipped off to be finished elswhere however some fall off the truck or are rescued from scrap.

Last edited:
Amazingly enough, lots of things fall off the back of trucks, but they never seem to get damaged!

Ingersoll Machine Tool (IMT) bought PC Drop forge in 1981 after it recieved a contract to produce large calibre ammunition. Is it possible this. 3"/70 was produced around then or after as I thought the 3"/70 was out of service in the 50's ?
SHAKY

As I remember, the 3 inch 70 was only mounted on a couple of carriers in the U.S. fleet and were obsolete very soon. We were buying the demilled projectiles and cases in the late 70's/early 80's from surplus. The cases had been moved by a magnet on a crane and were heavily magnetized. If you put them next to your TV it really screwed up the picture.

As I remember, the 3 inch 70 was only mounted on a couple of carriers in the U.S. fleet and were obsolete very soon.

According to Friedman, the USN 3in/70 gun was fitted to Mitscher class frigates, the command cruiser Northampton, and converted Gearing class destroyers. However, it was in service in most ships only from 1956 to the 1960s, and the only ship to carry the gun to the end was the large ASW frigate Norfolk.