What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 AP round?

Cirus

Hi,
Any chance of identyfying this sectioned AP round? I believe it's WWII German and it measures 50mm x 27mm, but that's all I know. Any thoughts on its form and function?
Regards
Cirus.

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 26
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 34
Hi Cirus,

Im sure this is a `gerliche` 28/20 projectile with a Tungsten core?
One of the other lads will be along soon to confirm it.

cheers

waff

Hi Cirus,

Waffy is correct, its a APCNR-T projectile from the German 2,8cm Schwere Panzerbchse 41....its missing its magnesium (or alloy there of??) ballistic cap....but don't worry, they're extremely rare, as the magnesium rots away very quickly.

This is a type of projectile / gun known as squeezebore, where the projectile is squeezed as it passes down the barrel....in this case from 28mm to 20mm. The purpose of which is to create increased velocity, over mach 4 in this case (1450m/s)

as always, you can find more on wiki here....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.8_cm_sPzB_41

If you're looking for a case, it has dimensions of 28x187r

Im sure someone will post more pics of this round....if not, I have one, with a machined aluminium cap, I can post later

Cheers

Hi all,
I really appreciate the quick replies, damned clever stuff this! Did the Germans pioneer this type of projectile and what would it's prime target have been? The projectiles small size seems more anti-personnel than anti-tank! I shall look forward to more pics and one more question, how was it retained in its shell-case?
Regards
Cirus

Hi Cirus,
Please have a look in Rich B`s excellent post,when you click the link you can see 2 rounds on the right of the page towards the end.

best

waff

Hi Cirus,
Just adding a pic of my PzB41 rounds...not a comprehensive collection, as I know someone has 6 different verions....but at least the "new" ballistic cap should show you what it looked like. The projectile on the left is the training round, and doesn't have the tungsten core.

Cheers

Attachments

• German pzb41 28-20 rounds.jpg
    German pzb41 28-20 rounds.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 56
Excellent collection sir!

I see what you been with the ballistic cap on the right hand proj.

mine is def missing.

best

waff

Hi RichardB,
Thanks for the piccie, it makes it all very clear. And incidently, a very nice sectioned piece indeed!
Regards
Cirus.