What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI Granatenwerfer projectile HELP

I was painting the Granatenwerfer projectile that I got from smle2009 (thanks Tony) today, and started looking at it and something seemed weird. I then got my other projectile out and they are very different. First of all the one I already had is a practice unit and does not have threads for a fuze (had a fake fuze made up by last owner). The difference in size between the projectiles is obvious from the pics. The one I got from Tony is on the left, is a relic and I had to make up some fins for it, and is smaller in width than the other. The one on left is just under 2 1/2 inches wide and the practice unit on right is just under 2 3/4 inches wide. The body is very different also. Something that gave me a chuckle is that when (see pic) I removed the fake fuze it is actually filled with an inert substance! You know the old e-gay obligitory line that had to be stated. Anyway the question. Why the size difference? I know the width is un-important as it was not a tube mortar. Are there alot of different sized projectiles and maybe I just never noticed before. I'm not as educated on these babies as I thought I was. Of course I know that were many different shaped projectiles (at least 10). I did not know there were size differences within 1 design. Am I making any sense here? Any input appreciated...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 275.jpg
    Picture 275.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Picture 278.jpg
    Picture 278.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 46