What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZsuwWM - pristine fuze.

Robert B.

The following trench mortar fuze came from a deceased friend who served in the RA during the first war, and is a souvenir he picked up at the time. I'd appreciate it if anyone has a photo of the rounds it would most commonly have been used with. Also, would a fuze like this have much value? my only experience has been looking at heavily corroded field finds on E-bay.

Regards,
Robs

Attachments

• DSC_0150.JPG
    DSC_0150.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0147.JPG
    DSC_0147.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 53
M'werfer fuze

Nice fuze Rob, It is for the medium and heavy Minenwerfer - Germany WW1 of course. As for value not a whole lot, I would guess around 30gbp or so. Really nice condition so maybe a bit more..Best..Dano

Wow - Quick reply!!

Would I be right in thinking this is a time-delay fuze (due to the numbered band (set to 10.2)) and hence air-burst or, alternatively, set to detonate after penetrating into the ground?

Robs

here we go

Yep Rob, double effect 58mm fuze - time delayed mechanism with 7 to 21 second delay. Used on

170mm middle trench mortars mWM 13 or o/A, explosive, incendiary or gaz shells

170mm middle trench mortars mWM 16 or n/A, explosive, incendiary or gaz shells

smooth 180mm bomb-launcher (projector), gaz or blue-crossed shells

250mm heavy trench mortars sWM, explosive long shells, explosive or gaz half-bombs

250mm heavy trench mortars sWM 16 or n/A, long explosive bombs

Cheers...Dano

17cm minenwerfer shell

The following trench mortar fuze came from a deceased friend who served in the RA during the first war, and is a souvenir he picked up at the time. I'd appreciate it if anyone has a photo of the rounds it would most commonly have been used with. Also, would a fuze like this have much value? my only experience has been looking at heavily corroded field finds on E-bay.

Regards,
Robs

Hi Rob,
Photo attached of 17cm medium minenwerfer shell.
Richard

Attachments

• WW1 Shells 014.jpg
    WW1 Shells 014.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 30
Fuzes

Hi Ron, These are my 2 Minenwerfer fuzes, on the left is as yours except undated and on right is for small Minenwerfer..Dano

Attachments

• Picture 165.jpg
    Picture 165.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 20
Many thanks for the pictures - I hadn't appreciated quite how big these rounds would be!
Sadly any information on exactly were these came from is now lost, but it is paired with a British type 101 in similar condition and a set of 'trench art' napkin holders with the town badges of various positions worked onto them.

Robs

snap it

Rob, sounds to me like you have a quite nice collection - pictures pictures pictures... uh er oh yeah - pictures...best...Dano