What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian 2Pdr A/T Gun in NY !

--
2Pdr_cyprusarmourph_2.jpg

2 shots showing Jeeps pulling 2Pdr's. One is an American Jeep during a joint Training/Landing exercise
jeep2pdr1.jpg

Ever regret not bidding high enough and missing out ? ( we all know that feeling)
Well ...last month this orig picture came up on Ebay ..I was outbid.
Man did I want it.
I should have bid higher.
Go ahead , read into this shot --
2PDRKO.jpg

Excellent stuff Mike B) .
Many thanks for taking the time to share all the pictures and info.

It must have been some feeling the day the gun arrived at your home and you knew it was all yours.....I'm only a wee bit jealous :woohoo:

I dream some day I can do the same with a 3,7cm Pak. Still no harm in dreaming.

Have you any pictures of the 2pdr on its platform mounting with the wheels off?

Regards
PC

Thanks PC ...Yes , you have no idea AND , it was pretty funny too because one of my
Illustrious Neighbors saw it being delivered and call the ?Code Enforcement? agents from City Hall ..so the City Car pulls up as they were taking it off the Truck (small town so , almost everyone knows everybody) he looked at the Gun ? looked at me ? back at the Gun ?looked back at me , smiled , shrugged his shoulders and drove off . It seems there?s no City Ordinance for owning your own Anti-Tank Gun so ..he left.
I quickly called the Chief of Police , he's as much of a History Buff as we are. I told him I just had a new item delivered and ..what happened.
He told me to keep a Tarp over it :)
All of our Neighbors are great and get a kick out our Hobby .I only have one Neighbor that- ahh --Makes my life interesting so ?what the hell , what would you make sure was Down Range.
They were not amused.

Rule #1 in this Hobby -- Military Collectors have a different sense of Humor
:woohoo:

Here are 3 great pics I borrowed
gives some insight into the production and time-line
gun_4.jpg

almost 2 months ago ..the 69th Infantry (yes , the "Fighting Irish" of WW1 fame) had the whole Battalion on the Mountain. They asked if they could borrow my 2Pdr and set it in place as part of the Training. There are a group of Civilians that work with the Units as Opposing Forces (Opfor) ..they were the ones manning the 2Pdr and the 69th had to attack the position.
This worked out fantastic because Clive at Service Publications had been asking me for pictures for his Book for 1 year .
So ..a Hummer towed the Gun to the top of the Mountain and the guys helped me set it up ..it was FREEZING
2pdrcs2.jpg

what a cracking piece of kit, another bit of history restored to its rightful glory, well done that man!

Here it is a few days later (after the snow melted)
I took quite a few shots and let Clive pick what he he wanted for the Book

Rrickoshae wrote:
what a cracking piece of kit, another bit of history restored to its rightful glory, well done that man!
Thanks for that ..It's great being able to share it.
If I could only find an Australian A/T Gunners Uniform & grouping . I do have a Medal group that's attributed.
I'll post that in a bit.

Thanks again

Carriage, 2-PR., Mark II
View from left side.

BOCN_2_PDR_side_view.jpg

Handbook for the Ordnance, Q.F. 2-PR., Marks IX and X on Carriages, 2-PR Masrks I and II.
Land Service. 1938

I'm glad the 69th got credit for making the "shoot" happen ..without them , I would have never been able to tow it to the bald spot:)
DSC01263.JPG

I have 2 (deactivated) display rounds ..I'll have to make a case or something to hold them so I won't have to deal with all the "Touchy Feely" people who love to pick things up ;)
DSC01264.JPG