What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian 2Pdr A/T Gun in NY !

---
DSC01267.JPG

Thanks again for all the pictures Mike.
Sure makes a nice display.

Interesting to hear some of your different experiences.
Strange matter where you go there is always a curtain twitchier on the telephone to complain.

Hope you have loads of good luck in finding new accessories.

Regards
PC

I was "surfing" Ebay last year and found this ..Couldn't believe it , The EXACT Scope that belongs with my Gun and also made in 1942 in Australia --and CASED --for $100 Buy It Now !!!
I couldn't hit that button fast enough.
The rubber Eye Cushion is missing but maybe I can find something that will fit.
That was pure luck
do191.jpg

Mike are you wanting the correct scope rubber or just something that will fit,,i picked a modern rubber up the other week,its approx 40mm wide at the end that fits onto the scope tube,if its any use let me know

Attachments

• DSC00186.jpg
    DSC00186.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00187.jpg
    DSC00187.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 6
Hi Spotter ...I started getting caught up on all the Posts I've missed and found yours ...If you still have that Scope Rubber , I'd be VERY interested in buying it. Please let me know
Thanks ---Mike

G'day Mike how cruel to leave that Aussie 2pdr out in the snow don't you know we don't like the cold!! Great article ,a mate of mine is restoring one at the moment looks good I will send some pic's when finished. I live in North Queensland near the old WW2 training grounds and if you send your address I will send you an old 2 pdr flathead projectile to go in your collection Regards Daryl

Hi Daryl , Thanks for that offer and I'd love to have it ..I'll PM you or you can Email me at chefs@optonline.net . I'll need your address so I can send you Money (Money is a good thing:angel:)
Another Collector in Australia had contacted me last year and offered me the Ammo Box for it ...there's no way I'm going to find that or the correct seat and leather tool pouch over here so --I was thrilled with that offer.
THEN ..my computer crashed with a Virus and I lost 90% of my Email files ..as well as his contact info and my chance to complete the Gun. I never found him again so I lost out.
If your friend knows where I can get those items , please let me know.

could another explanation of the red ball not be ........."the red ball express ", i know the where smaller then this one, but its only a suggestion.

Hi Spotter ...I started getting caught up on all the Posts I've missed and found yours ...If you still have that Scope Rubber , I'd be VERY interested in buying it. Please let me know
Thanks ---Mike

Really sorry mate please accept my appologies ive just seen your post,,ill look tomorrow and see if i still got the eyepiece rubber

Mike i still have the scope rubber,PM me your address and ill get it posted to you
allan

G'day Mike how cruel to leave that Aussie 2pdr out in the snow don't you know we don't like the cold!! Great article ,a mate of mine is restoring one at the moment looks good I will send some pic's when finished. I live in North Queensland near the old WW2 training grounds and if you send your address I will send you an old 2 pdr flathead projectile to go in your collection Regards Daryl

Daryl , Your 2Pdr Projectile arrived and I can’t thank you enough …I did not have one in my Collection so it’s a very welcome addition.

I could have just Emailed you a thank you note Daryl but , I thought the other members should know you did this. This is how our “Hobby “ was years ago …there was a code among Collectors . It’s nice being reminded that the “Code” is still alive and well …you’re a credit to our Hobby !
--Mike

Hi Mike, great to see the photos of your 2 pounder. My father worked at the General Motors Woodville plant at the end of the war and used to speak of the munitions production...apparently we managed to get the gun designed and on the production line in record time...amazing what an imminent invasion can do for motivation! Sadly the factory is no longer General Motors (I drive past it everyday on the way to work), great to see that there is still tangible proof of it's existence even on the other side of the globe. congratulations!

regards,

Peter.

Mike i still have the scope rubber,PM me your address and ill get it posted to you
allan
Thanks Allan ...I'll PM you.
We've been busy in the Mess Hall so I have not had much time for the Hobby ....and for some reason I'm not getting any Emails from the Forum re new Posts so I missed your message (I'll check my settings)

Hi Mike, great to see the photos of your 2 pounder. My father worked at the General Motors Woodville plant at the end of the war and used to speak of the munitions production...apparently we managed to get the gun designed and on the production line in record time...amazing what an imminent invasion can do for motivation! Sadly the factory is no longer General Motors (I drive past it everyday on the way to work), great to see that there is still tangible proof of it's existence even on the other side of the globe. congratulations!

regards,

Peter.
Thanks Peter , There was a small Booklet they printed showing the time line and the production line of the Gun. I posted a few pictures from it on this Thread (Post #26) ..If you ever see one of these Booklets for sale --please let me know because I've been trying to buy one. And since you're right there by the Factory ...there must be a few of them around.
You wouldn't know the Gun was rushed into production because , it's really well made. I'd love to find out if there was a Gov Data Base that could tell me where my Gun "served" ...might give me a clue as to how it ended up here in the States.

Mike, After I posted my previous, I saw the earlier threads with the 'production diary' etc. Will keep an eye open for any of the literature for you. I think I may have one of the flat top 'shot' projectiles if you want another.
regards mate,

Pete.

2pdr Atk Gun

Howdy Mike,

A book I have on War Production from GMH Australia.

I have taken pics of some of the 2pdr info, take note of the date of the proof testing of the gun, and who is sitting on the gun in the other pic.

This 2pdr cart, I picked up a couple of years ago here in South Australia!

Hope this is of interest.

Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• IMG_3918.jpg
    IMG_3918.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3921.jpg
    IMG_3921.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3922.jpg
    IMG_3922.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3912.jpg
    IMG_3912.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3913.jpg
    IMG_3913.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 25
2pdr Atk Gun

G-Day again Mike,

A couple more rounds in my collection, don't know if the color scheme is correct for 2pdr Atk gun proofing projectile as it was found amongst some navy ammo.

Also a pic of a Canadian made APCBC 2Pdr rnd.

I also have a brass & wood drill rnd buried in my collection somewhere, when I find it I will also post a pic of it.

Keep up the good work with the restoration project, still quite a few of these little babies here in Australia.

Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• IMG_3915.jpg
    IMG_3915.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3917.jpg
    IMG_3917.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3925.jpg
    IMG_3925.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3924.jpg
    IMG_3924.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 30
Flat head Practice ?

Hi Ozziammo are you sure that the first round is a "Proof" as there were many "flat head" rounds made for short range use on limited range areas ?
The stampings on the projectile body should confirm what it is.

Attachments

• 2 pr proof.JPG
    2 pr proof.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 18
Howdy Mike,

A book I have on War Production from GMH Australia.

I have taken pics of some of the 2pdr info, take note of the date of the proof testing of the gun, and who is sitting on the gun in the other pic.

This 2pdr cart, I picked up a couple of years ago here in South Australia!

Hope this is of interest.

Regards Ozzi.
What a fantastic grouping Ozzi !!! That Book is wonderful but that presentation 2Pdr Round is outstanding ...I've never seen another like it.
Thanks for posting them