What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British practice bombs

Hello jayteepee,,i asssume this is the modern prac bomb you are talking about,,its good to have stuff corrected by those who know,,i think the drawing i got was from ordata ..thanks spotter

Guys, The British 8.5, 10, 11.5 and 25lb a/c bomb tails were filled with Titanium Tetracloride, sealed at manufacture. there was no peephole for live tails that was an indication of a non filled tail. If tails are found complete, then it must be assumed that they are still filled. This Chemical mix is very noxious and will cause respitory problems and possible hospilisation. Report such findings the the Local Police and RAF EOD - PLease keep safe out there!

@JTP.. you are correct concerning the Smoke component, in the peephole versions (the after war munitions) you will find a cartridge in the bomb body. As far as i know it contains Phosphorous..

Ammodillo,

In the above, the 8.5lb has a No28 Det in the nose section surrounded by Lead-Antimony balls with the tail with TT.

All other bombs have nil ex or phos in the nose as this was cast or filled with lead(11.5lb) - all for weight. On arming in the bomb dump the no28 detonator was fitted into the tails, then the tail screwed onto the nose, held in place with a grub screw.

It is not always clear to see if it is safe or not, my recommendation is leave alone and call it in.

Hope this helps

I will be getting a Mk 1 and later versions of the 3kg practice bomb and when I do the pictures of the cutaways will be uploaded. There is a difference from ealier versions to todays ...

jayteepee_1999 wrote:
Ammodillo,

In the above, the 8.5lb has a No28 Det in the nose section surrounded by Lead-Antimony balls with the tail with TT.

All other bombs have nil ex or phos in the nose as this was cast or filled with lead(11.5lb) - all for weight. On arming in the bomb dump the no28 detonator was fitted into the tails, then the tail screwed onto the nose, held in place with a grub screw.

It is not always clear to see if it is safe or not, my recommendation is leave alone and call it in.

Hope this helps

Thank you for this information Jayteepee,on my regular site there is the remote chance we may come across these types of airdrop so this information is very usefull..thank you spotter

Was recently kindly given 2 practice bombs heads(both ffe cert)
On one you can very faintly see the remains of what looks like
8 1/2 pdr ??
VAD1930 ??
does anyone have a cutaway picture or drawing of the 8.5lb british practice bomb..they were crusted up when i got them but cleaned off very easily,
I do NOT intend to restore these to original for personal reasons

Attachments

• wadDSC00062.jpg
    wadDSC00062.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 125
  • wadDSC00063.jpg
    wadDSC00063.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 115
  • wadDSC00064.jpg
    wadDSC00064.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 126
  • wadDSC00068.jpg
    wadDSC00068.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 146
8.5 lb there were the break up bomb bakalite and the later mk3? cast metal. I have the drawings and will post when I get chance to scan in. By the way, very good restoration on what I thought were two very bad items from the pictures

UK 11 1/2 lb practice bomb

Picked up at a local auction today.The only numbers on it are "11 1/2 lb I SSE 42" Those Id marks are stamped near the hanging lug and also on the inside of the removable tail section.Paint is faded gloss white/cream with 3 green stripes on the tail.
This came out of a local estate auction clearing house.It looks as though it may have been dropped,or possibly played with by children at one point in its life,there are some chips to the noes where the nose plunger slides in.
Would anyone know what the marks I and SSE stand for?
FYI This item is inert and clear of all chemicals,including the tail section.The nose is filled with lead.

Attachments

• Auction Lot 001.jpg
    Auction Lot 001.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 202
  • Auction Lot 009.jpg
    Auction Lot 009.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Auction Lot 017.jpg
    Auction Lot 017.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Auction Lot 010.jpg
    Auction Lot 010.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Auction Lot 014.jpg
    Auction Lot 014.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Here is a 25 lb practice bomb. Looks like original off-white repainted bright white. The markings inside the tail section are 25LB IV [AT] VAD 1948.

Tony.

Attachments

• Practice bomb white a.jpg
    Practice bomb white a.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Practice bomb white c.jpg
    Practice bomb white c.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Practice bomb white b.jpg
    Practice bomb white b.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 144
Prac Bombs

While the early PB's of the sizes described so far had filler plugs and primer carts as indicated in the diagrams Spotter added, its worth mentioning that the later BDU33 (Mk76) were armed with Mk4 or CXU 3A/B carts about the size of a long 10ga shell. The BDU33's were blue in color and was a Mk82 subcal. A blue colored 5.5 lb PB with the approximate dimensions of a 10lb PB but but of a bakelite body construction was also in service. If anyone would like field photos of those I can provide them.

Cheers,
Austin

Hi austin I would appreciate any pictures of practice bombs you have i collect practice bombs have a look at some of my collection photos in members collections.
Regards
tomsk

Hi Tomsk, This is one i cut earlier and thought you might like to see it.
Andy

Attachments

• 11.5 bomb cutaway.jpg
    11.5 bomb cutaway.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 198
5.5lb Practice Bombs

Hey Tomsk,

Attached are a few pics of 5.5lb practice bombs from this fall. These PB's have bakelite bodies and tend to break up on impact.

Cheers,
Austin

Attachments

• 100_7100.jpg
    100_7100.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_7102.jpg
    100_7102.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 162
  • MEC Oct 26, 2009 003.jpg
    MEC Oct 26, 2009 003.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 198
8.5lb Break Up PB

Hi, there was an 8.5lb breakup practice bomb that was used by the british and I am sure by others as attached

Attachments

• 8.5lb.jpg
    8.5lb.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Bomb003768x576.jpg
Here a picture of 10 Lb practise bomb -Joerg -Ammunition in the pictures is with the KMD (EOD)

My image of my 11 lb practice bomb! how did Joerg end up with this image?
I was 'corblimy' on these forums at the start, re-registered after i could not get the old login to work.

heres is the link to Bemax original post http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/250lb-and-10lb-t3374.html?t=3374 Joerg perhaps you should have a talk with the KMD ref them taking peoples images without asking permission first...spotter

Last edited by a moderator:
can you post a photo of your example if you get chance please dodgydave,be good to see an original paint scheme..
regards spotter

Practice Bombs

As I said a long time ago, here are some pictures

Attachments

• PB1.jpg
    PB1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 190
  • BP2.jpg
    BP2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 192