What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British practice bombs

Greetings gents,
This is my first post here. I have a pair of 11-1/2 practice bombs similar to that posted by Bemax except in white and still with the nose-pieces. One is dated 1941 (SSE 41) and the other 1943 (SSE 43).

I've had them for a very long time and was curious how common they were today? I'm frequently asked if they're for sale (they're not) but was curious of what they're worth vs the offers I get?

The 41 is in very good condition and retains 90% of its finish, along with the safety pin and tag. The 43 shows a bit more wear -- probably 80-85% of its white finish is there. No safety pin on this one. Both have their nose strikers.

Thanks for reading this

Greetings gents,
This is my first post here. I have a pair of 11-1/2 practice bombs similar to that posted by Bemax except in white and still with the nose-pieces. One is dated 1941 (SSE 41) and the other 1943 (SSE 43).

I've had them for a very long time and was curious how common they were today? I'm frequently asked if they're for sale (they're not) but was curious of what they're worth vs the offers I get?

The 41 is in very good condition and retains 90% of its finish, along with the safety pin and tag. The 43 shows a bit more wear -- probably 80-85% of its white finish is there. No safety pin on this one. Both have their nose strikers.

Thanks for reading this

Can you provide Pictures?

SSE41and43.jpg

New guy here...I just picked up a practice bomb this week. It is dated 1944. I know next to nothing about these bombs but I've been slowly absorbing information. I've been enjoying the info here so far.

Dale

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 101
Good day,

Looks like youre an owner of a Canadian version of the UK 11.5lb Cartridge Type Practice Bomb. Also known today as MPB, Modular Practice Bomb. Your fourth Pict says it all... RCAF, Stores Ref. 12B/96. Minus the paint witch suppose to be white and safety pin and tag that are missing as well. By looking on your location under your handle, I can almost guess were you picked it up or I could totally be mistaking and you acquired your item from a friend or a store... Witch ever... I'm inviting you to check out the link below for youre for UXO in your Area... well at least, part of your province... :tinysmile_twink_t2:
http://www.uxocanada.forces.gc.ca/ul-eu/uhylsprn-dmeeylrs-eng.asp

And here are the Pub's for your item. Unfortunately, I was not able to upload the next pdf file which is about the 16.5 lb practice bomb description detail. (max upload is 293ko for pdf file and mine is 651ko) Really sorry! I'll check tomorow(later) if I can zip it or something.

Hope that was good info for you.
Cheers.
FCAT.

View attachment EO-30-25DA-2-12-SEP-1962 Bomb Pract Cart type 11.5 lb.pdf

View attachment EO-30-90B-2-1962-09-07 Charge Spotting 11.5 lb Pract Bomb General.pdf

UK 11.5 lb Cart type Pract Bomb.jpg

Thank you very much for the additional info! Too bad it's missing the paint though.

Actually, I found it at a Saturday afternoon garage sale in central Alberta. The seller was going to make it into a lamp but gave up that idea...selling it was easier. Never heard of that range by Edmonton before.

I was also wondering if I should get the pieces to complete the bomb and paint it white again...or should I leave it as is? Are the missing pieces even available for these anymore?

Dale

From my understanding, the 11.5 lb. practice bomb was loaded on the light series and the aero 14 series bomb carrier (depending on the suspension lug), though I haven't a clue what aircraft were equipped with them?

Hi, My friend has 11 bakelite breakup practice bombs of the 8.5lb type shown on this thread byjayteepee_1999. They are just the 3 piece cases with nothing else in them so have obviously been disposed of professionally. He found these together with an intact spitfire canopy in an old shed where he bought the land to build a bungalow. Would these have been used on the spitfire or are they entirely unconnected. Over what period were these practice bombs used.

Thanks Brian

Hello Brian

No, they would not have been directly connected with the Spitfire, mainly because the Spitfire wasn't equipped to carry them: it didn't have the right kind of release gear. They are of a similiar vintage though (1942/3-ish onwards - and they were still in use in the mid-60s!).

Regards

eodda

Hi Eodda, Thanks for response. What type of plane would use this type of bakelite practice bomb ? Are they of any value ?

Regards Brian

Does anyone know what this 1,000 LBS practice bomb would have been used for,still has the remains of a chute attached

PA290004.jpgPA290005.jpg

Tony

Hi Tony,
it`s a Mk-22 1000 lbs practice bomb used by the RAF. It`s the high drag version, hence the remains of the chute.

Regards, Cornman

heartstone_15.jpgha 7.jpg

Last edited:
Good day everyone. My name is Scott and I am a UXO technician (20 year USAF EOD) working at the Marine Air Ground Combat Center in 29 Palms CA. We have found a couple of Mk-20 1000lb practice bombs with a fuze or plug in the rear marked "MBH B214". Does anyone know if it has any explosive hazard (i.e spotting charge etc...) I literally have no idea and our technical pubs are largely incomplete on UK practice bombs. I would appreciate any information you may have. Thanks.

Hi Scottsawayer

If you send me a PM I will endeavour to help. I am ex-RAF EOD and still have connections in that world. If you have a photo of the bomb fuze/plug that would be a great help.

Regards

eodda

There is also a 8 lb. Practice Bomb Mk I.
The body consist of an asbestos cement cilinder. In the nose of which is cementend a glass flask containing about a 1/2 pint of titanium tetrachloride. The rear of the cilinder is Hollow and act sas a tail unit. A light metal suspensoin band is secured to the exterior of the bomb body.
The color is white with two 1/2 inch green bands. Overall lengte 16 inch. Diameter 4inch.

Maybe someone has a good picture.

There is also a 8 lb. Practice Bomb Mk I.
The body consist of an asbestos cement cilinder. In the nose of which is cementend a glass flask containing about a 1/2 pint of titanium tetrachloride. The rear of the cilinder is Hollow and act sas a tail unit. A light metal suspensoin band is secured to the exterior of the bomb body.
The color is white with two 1/2 inch green bands. Overall lengte 16 inch. Diameter 4inch.

Maybe someone has a good picture.

Does anyone have a line drawing of the 8lb prac Mk 1 with the asbestos cylinder they can post please?
Thanks.
Dave.

Found a picture myself.

The bomb was used for low level training purposes, up to a height of 2,000 feet against airfield targets, and was not to be used as an alternative to other type of break-up practice bombs for general training purposes. The design of the bomb is such that on breack-up no debris is left which might be injurious to taxying aircraft.

Found a lot of these bombs in the 80's near a Dutch airfield that was used by the RAF in 1944-1945.

8 lbs, doorsnede.jpg

Last edited: