What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British practice bombs

I found one of these on craigslist in the Tampa area. I haven't seen another one before but thanks to my membership here identifying this was quick and easy. From what I've seen so far this one seems to be in remarkably good condition, most likely since it's late war Canadian. Thought I would share some photos and I'm hoping someone out there can identify the RCAF marking on the tail section. rcafbomb1.jpgrcafbomb2.jpgrcafbomb3.jpgrcafbomb4.jpg

Just got this one in hand. Akin to the drawing jayteepee posted, except for the striker head. Also, missing the lead-antimony balls in the rear body and lead shot in the forward body. Weighs 2lbs 3oz as it is. Also, luckily, it's missing the titanium tetrachloride and det. burster.
1536 (800x226).jpg 1537 (800x600).jpg 1541 (800x522).jpg 1538 (800x315).jpg 1539 (800x345).jpg 1545 (800x764).jpg

Nice bomb Slick,i haven't seen a white Break Up,only(must be later dated) blue ones.
Even drill det. bursters are very scarce.
The break ups weren't stored loaded.
As with the Ti Tet,the det. burster wasn't fitted until the prep stage, just prior to use.

Bob

Although the printing is a bit faded, it looks like a "54" next to the B&S. Would that be mfg/issue date?

BREAKUP.jpg
I think its the manufacture date.
This one has the month/year on the tail(9/77).
Looks like B&S(B) got there moneys worth out of the breakup tooling!

You see these a lot over here as they popup for sale at various trade and antique places..

I assume the reason for this is that the bomber crews did a lot of their training in Canada?

with a username of Avro I feel compelled to say thankyou to you and your fellow countrymen for the loan of Vera this last summer, a beautiful sight seeing two Lancs flying together, and a privilage to see the three at the East Kirkby event - I only wish we could return the favour so you could have the same experience!!

regards Kev

Hi Corblimy,
They turn up occasionally on Ebay. Its the sort of thing you are likely to find at a car boot at the bottom of a box but don't know of any web sites with one for sale.
Cheers
Gary

I have one of these (minus any explosive charge of course) but it is missing the Black Nose Cone.
It was used as a Classroom Training Aid many moons ago but ended up in the depths of an old storage cupboard and was going to be slung as part of a clean-up.

20160131_164254.jpg20160131_164331.jpg20160131_164349.jpg20160131_164634.jpg20160131_164710.jpg20160131_164830.jpg20160131_164921.jpg

The screws which would have secured the top part to the rest of the blue body are also missing - but it would be great to get the thing complete again.

Not the sort of stuff that I normally collect and I only recently found out what it was on the following site -
http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Pages1_files/Technical_files/AttackModes.html

Extract:
It became standard practice for each Buccaneer squadron to have Qualified Weapons Instructors (QWI Pilots and Navigators), responsible for evaluating and improving weapons delivery methods.

Standard Attack Profiles (SAP)
and weapons release were practiced against ground targets on weapons ranges and splash targets towed behind ships. For logistic, safety and cost reasons operational weapons were rarely used. A variety of practice weapons were used to simulate live operational weapons:

4lb
& 3kg Practice Bombs had the same ballistic characteristics as the 1000lb Retard Bomb. Like the 28lb PB these had a flash/bang charge and were painted blue. The 4lb PB had a blunt nose and was subsequently replaced in the early 1980’s by the 3kg which was larger with a pointed nose.

Kind regards, Pete

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm looking at getting hold of 4 screws which secure the Nose to the Body as depicted in SPOTTER's Line Drawing on page 2 (http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/3774-British-practice-bombs/page2).

B3851U01c.jpg

Does anyone know if these were Countersunk or straight edge type?
I can't make out on my one which would have been used but I would certainly assume that once secured, the screw ends would have been flush with the body.

Also - How was the Nose Cone secured? It looks as if it may have just been pushed on.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Pete.

Last edited:
Hi Pete,
I would say the screws were Cheese head. These are not flush with the body but stick out proud by a couple of mm. They are made of stainless steel. The nose cone was a push fit as far as I know. I am also looking for a nose cone..... Will see if I can find a screw or two.
Cheers
Gary

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting hold of 4 screws which secure the Nose to the Body as depicted in SPOTTER's Line Drawing on page 2 (http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/3774-British-practice-bombs/page2).

View attachment 116501

Does anyone know if these were Countersunk or straight edge type?
I can't make out on my one which would have been used but I would certainly assume that once secured, the screw ends would have been flush with the body.

Also - How was the Nose Cone secured? It looks as if it may have just been pushed on.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Pete.

Thanks for that Gary,

I have a few odd screws of the type you mention but somehow it just doesn't feel or look right.
Normally you would think they would try and make it as aerodynamically as possible - but I'm sure they would have tested all that.

I would certainly be interested in a Nose Cone if you happen to come across a spare one.

Thanks again.
Kind regards,
Pete.

Hi All,

Could someone kindly post a couple of pictures of the Safety Pin Label for the 3KG Blue Practice Bomb.

As you can see, mine is only half complete !
I would like to get one made up but need to have all the text from both sides.

20160131_164830.jpg

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Pete.