What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flechettes

Scimitar rounds

I noticed US-SUBS Nov 09 posting on two Scimitars he had purchased with no confirmation on the information he had about them. The large one is for the 40mm grenade and the small one I know was loaded in 20 ga shotshells. Not sure about 12 ga. I have never run across one or any information that I recall they were loaded, but there is no reason to believe they weren't. I have a 40mm and 12 ga round in my collection. There are 7 Scimitars in the 12 ga and 13 in the 40mm. I also show three Scimitars on a mounted display board (69, 70, 71). The first two were loaded in 40mm rounds and the last is the load for the 12 ga shotshell. No. 68 is a Glider, experimented with at the same time as the Scimitar. Like the Scimitar, its leading edges were razor sharp. This one is was also loaded in 40mm rounds. I am late on this one, but I just recently joined BOCN.

Attachments

• Scimitar end view.jpg
    Scimitar end view.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 81
  • Scimitar 20 ga.jpg
    Scimitar 20 ga.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Scimitars mounted.jpg
    Scimitars mounted.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Scimitar rounds.jpg
    Scimitar rounds.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 107
Very nice peices! Who put the large board together?

WWI Aerial Flechettes?

Picked these two up off epay. Pretty sure the fluted/finned one is French. Only marking is a "C" or "O". I've read that this style was copied by the Germans, and marked "Made in France" or something similar. Not sure about the other one. I've never seen that style. It's drilled out, for half it's length, I assume to make the pointy end heavier. Probably whistled on it's way down also. No markings. What say ye all?

Attachments

• mornin 142.jpg
    mornin 142.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 50
  • mornin 143.jpg
    mornin 143.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 48
  • mornin 140.jpg
    mornin 140.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 44
Hello

Picked these two up off epay. Pretty sure the fluted/finned one is French. Only marking is a "C" or "O". I've read that this style was copied by the Germans, and marked "Made in France" or something similar. Not sure about the other one. I've never seen that style. It's drilled out, for half it's length, I assume to make the pointy end heavier. Probably whistled on it's way down also. No markings. What say ye all?
vINNY HERE,i ALL SO LIKE THIS KIND OF WEAPON,i HAVE SEEN THE GROVED ONE BEFORE AND AGRE ITS A FRENCH DESIGN,NOT REALLY SURE OFF THE OTHER.I DO HAVE A FEW OTHER STYLES,I HAVE READ THEY WERE VERY DISTRUCTIVE TO FLECH AND OTHER SOFT TARGETS.Ii HOPE THAT HELPS.
VINNY:tinysmile_classes_t

VINNY HERE I ALSO ENJOY COLLECTING THE ww1 ONES,THE ONE WITH THE GROVES CUT IN IT WAS A FRENCH DESIGN,IT MUST HAVE WORKED VERY WELL BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN GERMAN ONES DECLARING THAT THERES WERE A FRENCH,PATIENT WOULDN,T WANT TO GET ITO A PATIENT WAR I GUESS.THERE IS SOME OVERENGINEERD ONES MADE BY THE GERMAN AND AUSTRIANS,AND SOME BY THE ENGLISH.
THE U.S. HAD THE LAZY DOG BOMB IN WW2.
aND THERE ARE MANEY SIZES USED IN THE VIE NAM WAR.
AN INTERESTING SUBJUCT I THINK,THANKS FOR BRING IT UP.
VINNY:tinysmile_classes_t:tinysmile_classes_t

Here's a previous thread that discussed them briefly, http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/flechettes-t57425.html?highlight=flechette. See pages 2, 5, 11. They were made by at least France and the UK, I have not seen a reference yet showing any German designs. You can find the French ones pretty well described in the French book on Page 11 of the thread. Two British versions are shown in the book on Rolls Royce Armaments. Your hollow one though, is the first I've seen of that type.

Has anyone information on the WW1 flechette's being dropped from early aircraft, or is this just another story?
Cheers,
navyman.
HA NAVEYMAN,VINNY HERE,FROM SOME OF MY INFORMATION ON THE WW1 BOMBLET WAS THAT THEY WERE SHOVELED OUT OF THE PLANE OR ZEPLAND,I DON,T REMEMBER IF THE AUTHOR QUOITED WHERE HE HAD FOUND THAT INFO.
VINNY:tinysmile_classes_t

Thanks for the input guys. I started a new thread cuz it looked like the other one was dead. I see that a new reply has been added today. I too, have never seen the hollow one before. A google search, revealed a British design, very similar to it. As they were purchased together, I assumed it was a flechette. I love to learn new things.

I have this from a document on ww1 german bombs ,in German Language but may be of interest to you .
can anyone translate it please

Attachments

• 1darts.jpg
    1darts.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 2darts.jpg
    2darts.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 60
It will be nice to see it translated, if only to tell if they are describing their own pieces, or French pieces.

Here is an article I have had in my files. Unfortunately my French is not good enough to do a quick translation. Some very interesting designs. I especially like what appears to be protective epaulettes to be worn on the shoulders to protect the individual. Not sure they would be a big help, but I suppose it would be better than nothing, Maybe someone can do a translation of this and share it.

Grrrr! Didn't attach the article to my last posting!!!

Attachments

• Flechette Art. 4.jpg
    Flechette Art. 4.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Flechette 5.jpg
    Flechette 5.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Flechette Art. 3.jpg
    Flechette Art. 3.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Flechette Art. 2.jpg
    Flechette Art. 2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Flechette Art. 1.jpg
    Flechette Art. 1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 104
Nice article, with some good drawings. Do you know if this was the same guy that did the grenade books 20-30 years ago?

The flechette gods have been kind. Here are some of the new toys, with some more specialized pieces to follow later.

First is the 40mm M1001, followed by two boxes for SPIW flechette cartridges (the XM110s are fired, the box of XM216s is full and unfired, though in rough condition). Then there is an experimental .22 rimfire flechette cartridge and finally a .22 triplex Dardick tround flechette cartridge.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 93
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 111
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 93
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 83
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 85
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 87
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 73
Mystery flechette

If anyone has any information about the attached I'd be interested in hearing from you. The length is shown on the caliper.
Ta,
Dave.

Attachments

• 29th April 2010 031.jpg
    29th April 2010 031.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 29th April 2010 033.jpg
    29th April 2010 033.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 29th April 2010 034.jpg
    29th April 2010 034.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 38
Its obviously of much newer construction, but with the same general concept as the early air dropped versions. Do you have any background on where it came from or what time frame it was made?

Several different sized "flechettes" were developed for the new PAWs system (passive attack weapon - precision dropped, building penetrating flechettes of various sizes from one package), I wonder if it could be a part of that, or a similar development program? It doesn't look like the PAWs pieces I've seen so far, but in development terms that means little.

Thanks, the only information I have on it is that it came from the St Louis cartridge show 2 years ago. Any more information on it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave.