What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodies . . .

I think for the answer member Grenadier would be the man to ask.
I just had a look at my K marked grenade and its marked K 4 8/40 August 1940 production by Richard Rinker and Miguel it looks like you have one marked DO ? So I guess yours will be Donarite baised with a higher percentage of TNT mixed in , Mine possiably denotes filling no4 being TNT.
As I said Im only speculating at this point and if we can get something definate it would be great.

Theres some info here on compositions of fillings at this link

http://www.freilassung.de/div/texte/spreng/lexikon.htm

It would be great to be able to unlock the secrets of the markings !
Who else has a K marked grenade with different coding?

Best Regards

Andrew MG34NZ

Hi Andrew:
Mine is marked Do 12/1943. I have another one Marked K sy? 1/1943. And several Do etc without the K. But I think that the key is on the type of grease used, no matter if the explosive charge is frozen, it will explode anyway. Im not an expert in explosives, of course, Im just an electrician, but it is my idea.

+++

Similar question here:
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282066&highlight=Donarit
As for the "K" marking, Germans marked some ammunitions with "arkt" too when it was intended for use in cold climates. I'm not sure about the grease; it could also denote some more reliable insulation of the charge.
PS: Inbetween amonium nitrate undergoes crystalline transformation at -16.8 deg.C. Under this temperature the volume of the amonium nitrate increases +2.9%; this could be the reason of substitution with other nitrate.

Last edited:
PS: Inbetween amonium nitrate undergoes crystalline transformation at -16.8 deg.C. Under this temperature the volume of the amonium nitrate increases +2.9%; this could be the reason of substitution with other nitrate.[/quote]

Just for curiosity as seems you are an expert: a totally frozen explosive charge can explode as if it was in nornal condition?

Just for curiosity as seems you are an expert: a totally frozen explosive charge can explode as if it was in nornal condition?
Hi,
By my opinion yes, but when the charges are exposed to change of temperatures (change of air's volume inside, reinforced by the change in volume of explosive under/over -16,8 deg.C), air would get into the bodies and that way moisture with it too. But moisture+amoniumnitrate explosives= bad or no detonation after some percentage of water in the explosive mixture. So I think "K" is designation for better insulated charge, or charge without amonium nitrate as component

Excellent information Grenader, thank you for taking the time to contribute :top:

Andrew MG34NZ

Would like to add that Donarit which was a typical filling of German hand grenades contains Nitroglycerine in the mixture of components. Dynamite contains Nitroglycerine as well and frozen Dynamite is extremely sensitive to explode from minor disturbances.:heeeelllllooooo:

M39 egg grenade frag-sleeve

Hi Ron,

nicest items you've got there ! Congratulations !
The best is your ultra-rare frag-sleeve for the M39 egg-handgrenade.
Where did you find this nice specimen with original color !
Amazing.
Mine are (only) ground dug.........
Already quite happy to have some in this shape.

CSch

Attachments

• fragslEgg39002.jpg
    fragslEgg39002.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 41
Hi Ron,

nicest items you've got there ! Congratulations !
The best is your ultra-rare frag-sleeve for the M39 egg-handgrenade.
Where did you find this nice specimen with original color !
Amazing.
Mine are (only) ground dug.........
Already quite happy to have some in this shape.

CSch

To my knowledge, there only 5-1/2 M39 splittering in USA
collections and I got mine about eight(8) years ago from a collector that had two(2). I feel very lucky to have one in such pristine condition. They are rare and my guess is they are very late war issue . . .

To: MG34NZ, Time35, Grenardier & Granademan28

Re: 'K' marked StHdGr 24

I've checked the markings on some of the grenades in my full case
and found although some have very similar codes, not all have the large 'K' mark. Here's some some typical markings:

K syn Do6/1943
K syn Do7/194X(can't read last number)
syn Do10/1942
syn Do11/1943

Interesting discussion on the possible technical aspects and significance of these markings . . .

To: MG34NZ, Time35, Grenardier & Granademan28

Re: 'K' marked StHdGr 24

I've checked the markings on some of the grenades in my full case
and found although some have very similar codes, not all have the large 'K' mark. Here's some some typical markings:

K syn Do6/1943
K syn Do7/194X(can't read last number)
syn Do10/1942
syn Do11/1943

Interesting discussion on the possible technical aspects and significance of these markings . . .

Hey:
Very interesting. I have a K syn marked pot too. Complet stickgrenade gzo 1942 matching can and pot originally found at Leningrad, today San Petersburg. What is the syn? Another composition? Grenadier.... :questionmark:

Hey:
Very interesting. I have a K syn marked pot too. Complet stickgrenade gzo 1942 matching can and pot originally found at Leningrad, today San Petersburg. What is the syn? Another composition? Grenadier.... :questionmark:
Miguel:

My first thought was syn was a manufacturer's code and it may be, but I could find no listing for it in the cope books.

To my knowledge, there only 5-1/2 M39 splittering in USA
collections and I got mine about eight(8) years ago from a collector that had two(2). I feel very lucky to have one in such pristine condition. They are rare and my guess is they are very late war issue . . .

Ron,

Yes, and sometimes I wish I still had two of them!

You mention knowing of a half of a frag sleeve in the U.S. What state might that one be in? I was in Arizona last month visiting a friend and discovered an egg grenade with half of a sleeve in his collection. I was especially surprised to see it as I know of another grenade and partial frag sleeve just like it about 150 miles away in another Arizona collection.

Here's the one observed last month:

PICT0335.jpg

And the other one photographed last year. Those are actually two different items although you would swear it is the same one in both photos. Like twins!

PICT0543.jpg

By the way, it's always nice to see the photos of that case of stick grenades. Just beautiful.

Rick

Thats not SPIDER WEBS on those grenades is it !!!!!
The shame of it!:tinysmile_angry2_t:
Paul.

Ron,

Yes, and sometimes I wish I still had two of them!

You mention knowing of a half of a frag sleeve in the U.S. What state might that one be in? I was in Arizona last month visiting a friend and discovered an egg grenade with half of a sleeve in his collection. I was especially surprised to see it as I know of another grenade and partial frag sleeve just like it about 150 miles away in another Arizona collection.

Here's the one observed last month:

PICT0335.jpg

And the other one photographed last year. Those are actually two different items although you would swear it is the same one in both photos. Like twins!

PICT0543.jpg

By the way, it's always nice to see the photos of that case of stick grenades. Just beautiful.

Rick