What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenades to be auctioned

Hi,
Nº36 Mk I (GB), Besozzi Hand grenade 1915 (Ita, Fr), Nº5 Mk I (GB,1916?), SCHERPE EIHANDGRANAAT Nº3 (NL),Nº34 Mk III (gb)
Magnifique!
JM

These should raise some interest. I've got the ID, but want to share for folks that may be interested.

DSC_8423.jpgDSC_8426.jpgDSC_8427.jpgDSC_8557.jpgDSC_8532.jpgDSC_8530.jpgDSC_8530b.jpgDSC_8397.jpg

A couple more for you to drool over. For those who have asked, the auction will be held by Morphy Auctions https://www.morphyauctions.com/. I'm not sure of the date yet, April, June and September have all been mentioned. I'll post the date when I get further information.

DSC_8533.jpgDSC_8565.jpgNo. 1 MKxx  a.jpgDSC_8395.jpg

Questions on French grenades -

Does anyone have any solid information on pre-WWII color codes?
I'm also trying to get a timeframe for several of the grenades, but many of the common references (Delhomme, etc) are period and cannot tell me when the grenade went out of use.

On the last item, I was told years ago that this was a French OF body fitted with a Belgian fuze. I've never been able to confirm this, can someone fill me in?

37  France F1  3a.jpg36  France OF  2a.jpg40  France OF  6a.jpg41  France OF  7a.jpg43  France OF  8a.jpgDSC_8392.jpg

Beautiful No 1 MkII in the pictures above this one . Beautiful . As regards the OFI above , the fuze does look Belgian . It should be marked ACEC 1938 or similar somewhere . Hope this helps . Siegfreid .

Hi,

The white OF15 is a pactice grenade "lestée-amorcée" that would be translated by ballasted-primed, means that the explosion is simulated with a detonator, but no explosive charge.
The black/bue (2nd from the right) is loaded with plaster and black powder. Colors should be light-blue-gray on the bottom half and black on the other half
Inert grenades are red.
For more information, see "Manuel des munitions", 1932 on Gallica : https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k9709794s/f529.image

Regards,

S.

Beautiful No 1 MkII in the pictures above this one . Beautiful . As regards the OFI above , the fuze does look Belgian . It should be marked ACEC 1938 or similar somewhere . Hope this helps . Siegfreid .

Thanks, that helps. Do you know where I can ref the fuze? Didn't see it on Lex's site and don't have it in my docs. So then is it considered a Belgian grenade, and is the marking you mentioned indicative of the date? This was a pre-into WWII item?

Hi,

The white OF15 is a pactice grenade "lestée-amorcée" that would be translated by ballasted-primed, means that the explosion is simulated with a detonator, but no explosive charge.
The black/bue (2nd from the right) is loaded with plaster and black powder. Colors should be light-blue-gray on the bottom half and black on the other half
Inert grenades are red.
For more information, see "Manuel des munitions", 1932 on Gallica : https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k9709794s/f529.image

Regards,

S.

Thanks, a quick question though - you refer to the grenade as OF15, the references I have seen identify only OF - is there a difference?

Thanks, that helps. Do you know where I can ref the fuze? Didn't see it on Lex's site and don't have it in my docs. So then is it considered a Belgian grenade, and is the marking you mentioned indicative of the date? This was a pre-into WWII item?

I believe ACEC is , or was , a Belgian defence contractor . 1938 is the date of manufacture & the ones I have had were all dated thus whilst the bodies are most likely French imports as quite a few countries seem to have used them with their own igniters . It might be worth checking the one you have to see if that is the mark on the fuze , it is probably under the lever on the alloy body . I would be very interested to know if this info checks out . Mike .
I

View attachment 150070

Can anyone give me an ID for this Arges-type mini-grenade? Similar to the SplHgr 86, but slightly different bottom with more of a tapered shape. As you can see in the photo, no Arges embossed on the body nor model number. Is this the HG 80?

Last edited:
can anyone give me an id for this arges-type mini-grenade? Similar to the splhgr 86, but slightly different bottom with more of a tapered shape. As you can see in the photo, no arges embossed on the body nor model number. Is this the hg 80?

Yes HG80 (MINI)

Thanks, a quick question though - you refer to the grenade as OF15, the references I have seen identify only OF - is there a difference?

Image13.jpg
From "Manuel des munitions" p. 398

Image14.jpg
From an infantry sergent's notebook (1918)

S.

Last edited:
Ok, that is clear, it is just a reference to the year of design - seeing it listed as OF, OF15 and in Siegreid's post above as OFI I was afraid that maybe I was missing something.

I believe ACEC is , or was , a Belgian defence contractor . 1938 is the date of manufacture & the ones I have had were all dated thus whilst the bodies are most likely French imports as quite a few countries seem to have used them with their own igniters . It might be worth checking the one you have to see if that is the mark on the fuze , it is probably under the lever on the alloy body . I would be very interested to know if this info checks out . Mike .
I

I only had access to the collection for a little over a day and cannot go back to check the item (600 miles), I have one at home though and will check it this weekend.

I'm still looking for information on a couple of the above, the short variant of the Spanish PO series, and the unidentified blue plastic with the Arges type fuze - anyone?

The collection also has some very rare Japanese improvised grenades. This are made more interesting by the provenance - the deceased owner often told the story that he had recovered and inerted them in Burma during the war, while serving in the American Field Service as a British ambulance driver at the front lines. He explained to me how he had loaned them to British Bomb Disposal for exploitation and documentation. To my knowledge the only document that they (3) show up in is within the Kirkee collection, which was compiled in India. The first three are ones that he personally indicated to me were brought back by him, though others may have been as well. I have wondered about the No. 70 shown earlier as well, as my understanding was that the only field use it saw was in that region, and this one is in fantastic shape.

These are the ones he specifically identified as having inerted and brought back, I'll follow with more later.

DSC_8474.jpgDSC_8498.jpgDSC_8500.jpgDSC_8475.jpg
Can anyone make an educated guess on the identity of the cartridge case used for ignition with the improvised 25mm case? It was tight to the cap and I did not want to risk damage in trying to see a headstamp so left it alone. At first I thought it was a blank, but that may be incorrect and it could have been a field crimp to hold in the powder. There appears to have been a crimp in the neck for a projectile, visible in this photo.
DSC_8475b.jpg

View attachment 150070

Can anyone give me an ID for this Arges-type mini-grenade? Similar to the SplHgr 86, but slightly different bottom with more of a tapered shape. As you can see in the photo, no Arges embossed on the body nor model number. Is this the HG 80?

Those are difficult to ID definitely . I've had both Chinese & Pakistani copies of the HG 80 but wouldn't be able to tell which is which from a picture . Not much help . Sorry .