What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenades to be auctioned

As far as I can tell it is original - I've seen something on it, don't remember if it was on the forum or in a reference, seems like it was referred to as a "center belt" or something close to that.

"Can anyone make an educated guess on the identity of the cartridge case used for ignition with the improvised 25mm case? It was tight to the cap and I did not want to risk damage in trying to see a headstamp so left it alone. At first I thought it was a blank, but that may be incorrect and it could have been a field crimp to hold in the powder. There appears to have been a crimp in the neck for a projectile, visible in this photo."
As an educated guess, or SWAG, I would say it follows the contours of the 7.7x58mmR or Brit .303. Star crimp looks to be field made. Cheers, Bruce.

That make perfect sense, but I wanted someone with better eyes than mine to say it.

Does anyone have a compilation of foundry marks for the US MKI, MKII and M21 grenades? Are any considered special in any way?

what was an ambulance driver doing messing around with ordnance,i bet he got a right bollocking when he showed them to the bomb disposal guys
he well may have charged as well.

Wouldn't have been likely, you had to know the individual. Not medically fit for service, family connections could have kept him away from the war, still found a way to ship out and support. Began collecting cartridges as a child, very knowledgeable in everything he did. Manner and presentation carry a lot of weight, I suspect he would have been seen as a asset rather than a danger, he was a unique individual.

Beautiful No 1 MkII in the pictures above this one . Beautiful . As regards the OFI above , the fuze does look Belgian . It should be marked ACEC 1938 or similar somewhere . Hope this helps . Siegfreid .

I was able to pull the fuze this morning and take a look, you are absolutely correct. I've had this grenade for over 10 years and never knew the markings were there.
DSC_8581.jpgDSC_8577.jpgDSC_8579.jpg

There are some nice Italian pieces as well. The first SCRM 35 is dated 1965, and is in fantastic condition with all of the internals intact, to include the empty explosives capsule. Can anyone tell me if there is any difference with the second SCRM 35, and if it is just different period markings, about what time frame would these markings be from?

16  Italy  SCRM 35 1a.jpg17  Italy  SCRM 35 2a.jpg17  Italy  SCRM 35 2b.jpg18  Italy OTO 35 3a.jpg81 Italy Lenticolare M14  1a.jpg81 Italy Lenticolare M14  1b.jpg

Hi Jeff, according to the news over here there are polar bears knocking on your door to please allow them into your house, preventing them from freezing to death.
Is it really that cold over there?
Regards, DJH

Yes, it is. I've got a brother in law that has been hoping to fly out since Sunday, hope is currently for Friday with no guarantees. Temperatures are not all that bad at -7 to -11F, but the 35mph winds make it feel downright chilly. With all the recent snow the winds are causing constant drifting and loss of visibility, so the roads are pretty well limited to one lane or closed. They have just put out an emergency alert in our region asking everyone to lower the temperatures in their homes to 65 or less, in an effort to prevent power/energy emergencies.

On the plus side, the Govt is back in operation for a couple of weeks and with most of the aircraft in our area grounded I can finally take a day of my Christmas vacation, letting me catch up on this grenade stuff over the weekend. Just figured it out, if I take all of the leave I am currently owed I can stay off until August 3rd. Don't really see it happening, but it would be nice.......

Not a bad idea.... Here's ours at the Bombatorium.

IMG_0691.jpg

There are some nice Italian pieces as well. The first SCRM 35 is dated 1965, and is in fantastic condition with all of the internals intact, to include the empty explosives capsule. Can anyone tell me if there is any difference with the second SCRM 35, and if it is just different period markings, about what time frame would these markings be from?

View attachment 150143View attachment 150144View attachment 150145View attachment 150146View attachment 150147View attachment 150148

All the SCRM 35's I've had were basically identical , the only difference being that the WW2 ones had no dates on the safety clips . The 35 part refers to the year of introduction . Mike .
I

Here are a few of the German offerings, what appears to be an early production Stielhandgranate 24, followed by a late production Stielhandgranate 24, and a Stielhandgranate 43. Can anyone explain the paint on the second grenade? I've never seen the gray with the yellow band before.

100  German Stick  SG 24  a.jpg103 German Stick  a.jpg102 German Stick Stielhandgranate 43  a.jpg97  German Stick  5a.jpg

Hi,
the second grenade isn't a german Stielhandgranate 24 but a
Swedish Spränghandgranat M/39.
JM