What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M62/M30 Grenade, Hand, Practice

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi. Were original military issue M62s/M30's ever threaded to accept the M228 fuze? Cheers

To the best of my knowledge I would have to say no. Generally the m30/62 that accept the m228 fuze is the surplus circuit junk that you see all day long for 8.00US a pop. I could be wrong, there may be an exception but I do not think there is. I was always told that if an m30/62 Lemon accepts an m228 fuze you have junk. They are very poorly made and more of a novelty than anything. There are many surplus dealers that sell these as throwing dummies and the quality is so bad on these fakes. The rule is that if an m228 fuze screws into an m30/62 lemon grenade, then the grenade is FAKE. Would like to hear from Justin on this but I do think I am right........Dano

Hi Dano, I've always been of the same opinion. However, there are other minor variations between the junk circuit repro’s and originals. I’ve just seen one that looks good in all other aspects, accept the threading. Apparently FM 23-30 mentions M62’s threaded to accept M228 fuzes. I’m wondering if the manual had a typo or if this configuration actually existed. Cheers

Hi Dano, I've always been of the same opinion. However, there are other minor variations between the junk circuit repros and originals. Ive just seen one that looks good in all other aspects, accept the threading. Apparently FM 23-30 mentions M62s threaded to accept M228 fuzes. Im wondering if the manual had a typo or if this configuration actually existed. Cheers
Quite possibly so Fragman, I was going on the generally accepted "rule of thumb" but it seems there are always exceptions to rules of thumb. You've certainly got my curiousity peaked as I would love to know....dano

I think I might have an answer for you...

Fragman,

There are notable differences between the two. The M62 becomes the M30 with the addition of a "Safety Clip". As far as the fuse goes, I have not seen, nor have I heard of the M228 being fitted onto the M62 or the M30. Usually, the 228's are found on the M69 "Practice" grenade. The M30's and the M62's have a "Ignition" type fused such as the M205A1 and M205A2 (No detonaters).

I think the reason being is that the spoon on the M228 would be too small for the M30 and M69 inorder to it being safe to handle even with just the igniter and black powder charge. Here, I show the M30 version and proper internals:

Attachments

• M30 and fuses 002.jpg
    M30 and fuses 002.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 80
  • M30 and fuses 003.jpg
    M30 and fuses 003.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 72
  • M30 and fuses 004.jpg
    M30 and fuses 004.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 96
  • M30 and fuses 001.jpg
    M30 and fuses 001.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
The general consencus is that an M30/62 with the larger 5/8" threads are fakes. I have never seen a legit M30/62 tapped for an M228. If it's mentioned in 23-30, it could be that there are a few exceptions around. I just can't say with any certainty, I haven't seen a cast lemon of even mediocre quality with the larger fuze well.

Justin,

thanks for setting me straight on that one.

V40
Mark
"MACVSOG Living Historian"

No. But it was used in the M69. Dan, that is all I can find out. Maybe someone here can verify my observation or not.

Dan, the answer is still NO.:tinysmile_twink_t::tinysmile_twink_t:

Started thumbing thru my Grenade Recognition Manual, Vol.1 and it shows the following:

Fuzes used with the M30: M10A2, M10A3, M205A1 and M205A2

M62: M205A1 or A2 It also makes reference to what Justin said about the blurb in FM23-30 using the M228.

M69: M228

Maybe SgtLynn has an update on this.

Rick

Rick,

I was wondering about that too. When it first came out, there were some mistakes that were made during publication I believe.

His book(s) are a great reference and I use the book frequently here. On his site he gave the correct info to his book Mr. Lynn is that correct? I have the corrections here somewhere at home. I copied them off of his website. I'll see if I still have them and get back to you on that.

V40
Mark
"MACVSOG Living Historian"

Thanks Mark. To clarify my "volume", it was sent via email, by Mr. Lynn, so am guessing it would have the latest updates, but would certainly be nice to know if it is the most up to date version. A bonus for acquiring signed Volumes 2 & 3. I do love my books.
Anyway, check out the pics. Especially nos. 1, 2 & 3. This particular specimen is threaded in both ends. One for the M10, M205, etc version fuze and the other for the M228. How about that! Might answer the conundrum. There is a remnant of the cap still rattlin' around inside. The other two samples are only threaded in one end. Am I lucky or what? And no, I didn't just run out to the shop and thread the blind hole. This is fer real! I'm excited by this, actually.

Attachments

• Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 006 (Small).jpg
    Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 006 (Small).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 007 (Small).jpg
    Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 007 (Small).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 005 (Small).jpg
    Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 005 (Small).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 004 (Small).jpg
    Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 004 (Small).jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 003 (Small).jpg
    Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 003 (Small).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 33
  • Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 002 (Small).jpg
    Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 002 (Small).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 001 (Small).jpg
    Grenade, Practice, M30 M62 001 (Small).jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 52
Kinda means the same thing oie???:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Are the threads for both ends indexed?

Thanks Mark. To clarify my "volume", it was sent via email, by Mr. Lynn, so am guessing it would have the latest updates, but would certainly be nice to know if it is the most up to date version. A bonus for acquiring signed Volumes 2 & 3. I do love my books.
Anyway, check out the pics. Especially nos. 1, 2 & 3. This particular specimen is threaded in both ends. One for the M10, M205, etc version fuze and the other for the M228. How about that! Might answer the conundrum. There is a remnant of the cap still rattlin' around inside. The other two samples are only threaded in one end. Am I lucky or what? And no, I didn't just run out to the shop and thread the blind hole. This is fer real! I'm excited by this, actually.
I also have a twin threaded practice lemon but the bottom threads will not accept either fuze....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 884.jpg
    Picture 884.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
One "big" and one "small"? I had not noticed it 'til I started checking asstd. fuzes with my samples to see what was what.
Makes sense. Just cut threads in existing stock. No need to retool the manufacturing process.

Rich you are the man. Here is a grenade I found yesterday that I forgot I had.

Mark
V40
"Macvsog Living Historian"

Attachments

• Practice M26 001.jpg
    Practice M26 001.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Practice M26 002.jpg
    Practice M26 002.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Practice M26 003.jpg
    Practice M26 003.jpg