What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M62/M30 Grenade, Hand, Practice

Sorry guys, I have no updates to that reference. I tend to think it was a mistake. I have never seen a "real" one that fits the M228 fuze. Perhaps it was planned but never executed. I mentioned it in my book only because I found it in an official publication and thought it should be in there (just in case).

The double threaded grenades are interesting.

Check the threading in your grenades to see if they are a plumbing thread, they might fit a pipe plug (can't think of the real name at the moment). I was going to tell you why, but shouldn't post information like that on an open forum, but you guys should be able to figure it out.

SgtLynn

Yea, roger on the plug theory. The M228 fits perfectly, tho. That's almost TOO coincidental.

M50

I has been brought to my attention by a few collectors that the Lrmon threaded on both ends would be designated an M50 or live practice grenade. The bottom side would either be welded shut or threaded to accept a plug so the grenade could be live filled for live practice. Again on my double threaded lemon, the bottom thread will accept no fuze so I have to assume it was meant for a plug. i am now double sure that no legit practice lemon or any lemon for that matter was ever threaded to accept an m228 fuze. 8 to 1 I am right, but only a 50% chance of that!!!! dano

Dano

Did any of those folks advise a reference to the M50? My sources are limited and I can't find anything on it. My curiosity is piqued, big time.

Rick

There is about 2-3 pages in "Jane's" 1975 Edition on this subject. I am going to go back over it tonight and therefore put an end to this "Conspiracy File(s)" to bed. Sounds like an "X File" to me.

V40

Yep! A great thread, to me. What this place is all about.
Thanks for delving deeper.

Rick

The M67 is the M30 with a safety clip. It uses the following type of fuses: M213 in the actual "Live" Grenade.

The M61 is a hand grenade "Live" that with a safety Clip becomes the M61. It uses the following fuses: The M204A1 and M204A2.

The M2 (live version) uses the folowing fuses: M2041A1 and the M204A2. Safety clips are not used by the "Live" version. It is now authorized for the U.S. Navy use only! This is very interresting in itself. The reason being, what I think is by the end of 1970 to 1974 these grenades might be the last in stock.

The M68 becomes the M59 with a safety clip. Each grenade uses an electrical IMPACT fuses. The bodies of these two grenades are identical. They both use the folowing Live fuses: M217.

The safety clips on hand grenades M68, M61, M67 and the M57 are not interchangeable.

The M57 is a M61, M26-A1 and the M26 are identical to the M26A2 in the body and in the fuse threades. The bodies of the M61, M26A1, and the M57 have no interchangable safety clips.

The M26 series of "Live" grenades with the exception of the bodies of the M26A2 and M57 do not contain Tetryl booster pellets. Where as the rest of the series does have the booter of Tetryl pellots wrapped around the fuses. The M57 and the M26A2 uses Comp B with the Tetryl pellets with a M217 fuses.

The "Offensive Mk3A2" . It can use either of the following fuses: M206A1 or the M206A2. This is the only "Offensive" grenade used in 1973-1975

I am only guessing because of the year of this Jane's book is 1975, and I do not how they used their books? And how far back is the book still considered to be accurate? I think they come out every two years? This would go with the above mentiond grenades too that are all "LIVE" versions above.

the Illuminating grenade Mk1 resembles the M26 body. It is the only Illuminating grenade authorized for use.

Contnued on the next post...

This thread has been both awesome and informative. I finally found some time and will tell what I found out about My "M50" twin thread lemon. Went to my Brothers house and he has a comprehensive tap set that I used as thread chasers. My lemon has pipe threads on the top hole, and regular threads on the bottom. I got the grenade with a smoke fuze forced into the top pipe plug hole. So actually my grenade is upside down to be right side up. These were converted m30 for either live practice or live use. Unless there is a fuze that goes into pipe threads I don't see how this can be wrong, however my knowledge is limited and am open to suggestion/correction. I am still searching for "hard copy" information on the existance of an M50 but have taken it on string from three different knowledgable collectors. Left picture top pipe threads, right picture bottom regular fine threads (did best as could with marginal equipment) The OD paint is old, has practice blue underneath. I think these were rethreaded in the day and painted OD to signify live grenade. Then was signified M50. Also just finished pulling off a MAJOR trade where I am sending off 8 pretty choice WW1 grenades, and what I am getting, WOW...will post when arrives..If one life...................Dano

Attachments

• Picture 928.jpg
    Picture 928.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Picture 929.jpg
    Picture 929.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
After numerous emails and countless debates Im now of the opinion that the US trialed a practice grenade with the same bodies as the M30 & M62, but threaded to accept the M217 Impact fuze. Im told the designation of this grenade was Grenade, Hand, Practice, Impact XM52. Unfortunately I have no documentation to support this. Anyway, until its proved otherwise I know what Im doing with my one:tinysmile_classes_t. Cheers

Attachments

• XM52.jpg
    XM52.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I just found some documents in my piles of documents that confirms the M52 as the practice version of the M57, and the M66 is the M52 with addition of the safety clip

Thanks SgtLynn. I just amended page 75, GRM Vol. 1.
Can you post copies of your documents re: that finding?

Rick

I would appear to be a tad behind here. I assume we are still talking cast bodied lemons here? Just trying to catch up a bit....Dano

I would appear to be a tad behind here. I assume we are still talking cast bodied lemons here? Just trying to catch up a bit....Dano

Yes Dano, talking about cast bodied practice Lemons with the practice version of the M217 Impact fuze. The M52 is the practice version of the M57 Impact Lemon, M66 is the same as the M52, but with the addition of a safety clip.

The M67 is the M30 with a safety clip.

The M57 is a M61, M26-A1 and the M26 are identical to the M26A2 in the body and in the fuse threades. The bodies of the M61, M26A1, and the M57 have no interchangable safety clips.

The M61, M26A1 Bodies are not identical fuze threads as the M26A2 and M57 Bodies.

Also the M61 and M26A1 have the same / interchangable safety clips.