What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mauser Tankgewehr M1918

Dave83

Tank-hunting in the German Army traces its routes back to the First World War when, in an attempt to break the deadlock on the Western Front, the British developed the tank which was first used in action on September 15th 1916 on the Somme. The tanks could overcome barbed wire and entrenched machine guns and frightened the German soldiers into leaving their trenches. It was soon discovered that the tanks were vulnerable.

On November 20th 1917, 476 Mark IV tanks attacked at Cambrai but by nightfall, 180 tanks were out of action, 65 were victims of enemy fire and the others through mechanical failure or had become stranded in the mud.

Over 100 British tanks were captured and 30 were put into service with German crews and made up a portion of the German Panzerwaffe in 1918. The British tanks that had been destroyed in action had been victims of German artillery fire, at that time there being no anti-tank weapons available. This changed in 1918 when it was discovered that by simply reversing the direction of the infantry rifle bullet with a heavy tungsten-carbide core in the cartridge case, it could penetrate the British tank armour. Soon the Mauser Werke at Obendorf produced an oversized rifle that could fire a 13mm bullet and penetrate one inch of armour at 250 yards.

Here are some rounds for the Mauser Tank rifle M1918 there are all in my own collection !!
I hope you like it !!

Regards David

Attachments

• Tankgewehr (2).jpg
    Tankgewehr (2).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 524
  • Tankgewehr.jpg
    Tankgewehr.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,355
  • mauser_anti_tank[1].jpg
    mauser_anti_tank[1].jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 315
excellent selection! , whats the story on these rounds? I have been told they were only made by Polte and that the month of manufacture is whats sought after? how many variations are there?
I only have one example , they are a bit hard to find in NZ for some reason...all gobbled up by cartridge collectors no doubt!

Best Regards
Andrew MG34NZ

yes thats right !

yes thats right there are very hard to find now a days on the market and there are also very expensive normaly they carge you 50 Euro for one of this rounds .
I was very lucky that one feller from Bavaria had all of this rounds and he need fast money for any privat reasons and he sold me all of this rounds very cheap !
Abount the stamping i am also net clear exactly there are all of the same manufacturing year but some are stamped with 6,11 this must be the code for the manufacturer maybe one can help to find out ??

Thanks David

Nice... :xd:

attachment.php

From the Headstamps......

P = German manufacture (Polte).
T-67 = Code designation for the 13x92 AT cartridge.
9 = September
18 = 1918

Hope this helps.

13 mm T-Gewehr

Hi Dave, Nice collection of 13mm's you have. I would be very interested if you could list what months of manufacture you have there? The earliest one of mine is "4" of 1918 and then stopping (naturally) at "11" of 1918. I also have an example with headstamp "P M" with each letter at 12 & 6 o'clock respectively. This one is allegedly an incendiary loading that was manufactured prior to WW2 when the Germans starting playing around again with the rifle calibre anti-tank rounds culminating in the 13 x 94 (PzB38)and 7.9 x 94 (PzB39).

MG34NZ is right, these cartridges are also hard to find here in Australia and invariably have been 'pulled'. The dates that seem to turn up most frequently are "9" & "11".

regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter

I have checked all of the headstamps of my rounds there are as follow !!

1x4
2x5
2x6
1x7
1x8
1x9
2x11

I face that month 10 is not there i have to find one to change !!!

Regards David

Hi David, Thanks for that, I should talk to you about acquiring one of your "5"'s.
I have never seen a "10".....does anybody have one??

Have you ever seen any form of packaging for these cartridges?

Peter.

Hi peter

Yes for me the same i have never seen a 10s round not even a empty shell but i can not believe that in month 10 they dont produce this kind of round why what shoul be the reason for this manufacturing stop ???

I have seen one of this wooden box for this round i will post a pic of that but i dont have this kind of box i think there are realy realy reare !!!

Regards David

Here are the pic of the Tangewehr M1918 wooden ammo box !!!

Attachments

• u8[1].jpg
    u8[1].jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 198
Thanks for the pic of the box David....presumably there was some kind of sub-packaging within the divisions of that box?

Yes, you are correct, there is no reason that the "10" should not exist, hopefully somebody will come up with a known example.

I shall 'PM' you in due course regarding your "5".

regards,

Peter.

As far as I know

The ammunition was carried in a paper cloth bag with internal loops made for the purpose. I may have an image in an old KaiserZiet issue. The is a chap who runs a local gun show and he sells ammunition, he has some of these. I can get them easily enough for any one, but how would I ship them as they are still live.

Last edited:
Hi, I'd love to get hold of a 13mm round, along with the obsolete calibre T Gewehr to go with it!

Anyone got one for sale in the UK for a sensible price - brass or rifle?

Ian

great thread

What an interesting thread. I've always wanted one of these rounds (one would be plenty for me) and it's great to see so much information on it. I especially like the photo of the ammo box as I had never seen one for this round before. In some of these threads I can extract more pertinent information than in a whole library of books. I do know where there is a round available, but don't want to pay the 65.OOus they're asking for it. that sems steep for 1 round to me..Dano

T-Gwr

If you want a T-Gewehr there is one for sale at Beltring for 4,950.

That is not a bad price when one considers that they are asking over 1,000 for an ordinary Vickers and around 400-500 for a junky de-act pistol.

The T is a lot more than five times rarer than a Vickers!

As for the rounds, USD65.00 is about right. They tend to go for about 40-50 over here. They are not that hard to find and crop up occassionally on SA.

Regards
TonyE

Nice collection Dave. I don't collect small calibre myself but have picked up a couple of spent cartridges on the Somme battlefield close to Ancre Cemetery. Must brush the mud off and check dates!!
Richard

TuF

Answering some of the previous questions, there is no known loading for October 1918 (10). Why this should be is not known.

There are other loadings than the normal AP round. There is an SmK tracer, a PmK incendiary and an S.Pr type incendiary. It is most likely that these loads were for the TuF (Tank und Flieger) machine gun being developed at the end of the war.

In the 1930s the Germans used this round as the basis for various developments and manufactured it again as stated above. Several countries started using the gun post-war including Sweden and China, abd they also made the ammunition.

When Britain was developing the Boys anti tank gun (then still called the Stanchion gun) we reloaded old German ammo and obtained new cases from Sweden to develop the AP bullets and study the ballistics.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Hey Tony,

As for loadings of these rounds; there also seems to have been a SmK with "blaukreuz" (lachromatory) filling.
A 13 mm TuF round was in progres of being sectionned by a ECRA member when he noticed a very strange smell and some unnerving sensations ath the nose and eyes. The round was disposed of into a bucket of water standing by for any unforseen events.
As no incendiary effects occurred and the innards of the projectile were of distinctly different design than that of either SmK or API it was concluded (due to effects occurring) that a round with a "blaukreuz" filling must have been in existence.

An article on these events appeared in the ECRA bulletin some time ago.

greetz,

Menno.