What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mauser Tankgewehr M1918

Here is a photo of the one for sale at Beltring. Obsolete calibre so a fully intact gun in firing condition.

If I had 4950 to spare I would have bought it.

t-gewehr.jpg

A tank load of cash

That's a ton of cash Falcon (about 8 grand), but with the rarity of this gun probably not a bad buy. I just would have a hard time paying the amount I roughly could get a good used pick-up truck for. Wish I was born a rich (don't we all?) kid. I changed my mind, I do want one. that would look bitchin' in the trench, a real piece of history. I wish I had that kind of money to spend. Dano

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be more complicated for you in the USA as it has a bore over .5" diameter so would be classed as a "destructive device" and subject to strict controls?

I'm sure this rifle would be a good buy as in investment in the UK, as it is in working condition, and they definitely aren't going to make any more of them.

There were loads of "deactivated" guns for sale at Beltring, which have a number of modifications to render them un usable. These can be bought by anyone in the UK with no need for permits etc. Some of them were obviously worn out junk, as they are no good for shooting they have been turned into display pieces. However, there were some really nice ones there as well, like WW2 USGI Issue M1911A1 pistols made by US Switch and Signal Co. in almost brand new condition. These were being sold for nearly 700 each. I would much sooner these could be legally owned as live pistols in the UK.

Last edited:
Here some pics from my (empty) 13 mm Tankgewehr round:

Attachments

• Patrone_Tankgewehr_1.jpg
    Patrone_Tankgewehr_1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Patrone_Tankgewehr_2.jpg
    Patrone_Tankgewehr_2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Patrone_Tankgewehr_3.jpg
    Patrone_Tankgewehr_3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Patrone_Tankgewehr_4.jpg
    Patrone_Tankgewehr_4.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Patrone_Tankgewehr_5.jpg
    Patrone_Tankgewehr_5.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 157
Btw. the manufacturing date "11 18" seems to be the most common on these cartridges because they were still produced after the german surrender but were all dated for nov. 1918, so if there would ever visit an allied inspection team Polte, the germans could always say, that these cartridges are "from the war".

There is a great book about the Tankgewehr and its ammo:

[ame="http://www.amazon.de/Waffentechnische-Meilensteine-Tankgewehr-Mauser-1918/dp/3933481066"]Waffentechnische Meilensteine / Das Tankgewehr Mauser M 1918: BD 1: Amazon.de: Wolfgang Kern, David T Schiller, Manfred Stegmüller: Bücher@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RpA8k%2BgOL.@@AMEPARAM@@51RpA8k%2BgOL[/ame]

Most interesting thread on a very interesting weapon and ammo. Dave83 started it off with a great little story on the reasoning for the weapon. I still have not bagged one of these rounds, seems like when one turns there are just too many other fish to fry....Dano

I just sold one for $40 cdn

I have never read if the rifles were effective ? Were they ?

Effectiveness

Yes, they were very effective, particularly on side plates of tanks.

In the interwar period they were still considered pretty much state of the art and were used as the exemplar in British trials.

Our answer in 1918, had the Germans developed any useful tank, was possibly going to be the Godsal rifle, developed by the gentleman of that name at Webley. That fired the .600/500 belted round that eventually became the .50 Vickers after the war.

Picture of gun from the Pattern Room collection and round from my collection below.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Godsal.jpg
    Godsal.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 600-500A.jpg
    600-500A.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 101
This one is allegedly an incendiary loading that was manufactured prior to WW2 when the Germans starting playing around again with the rifle calibre anti-tank rounds culminating in the 13 x 94 (PzB38)and 7.9 x 94 (PzB39).

The post 1918 production is not related to AT rifles and also not to the 7.92x94. These cartridges were for aircraft machine guns and were a competitor to the 13x64B which got finally adopted.

Thanks to the great detail in this forum, I've managed to easily identify the cartridge that I found while clearing out an old house. The big question on my mind is if somebody can tell me whether these cartridges for the Mauser Tankgewehr M1918 would be live or inert - i.e., are they safe to have around the house? The cartridge is in perfect condition, so I assume it is unused?

Hi Lonin,
firstly if you have any doubt to if this round is 'live' call the authorities!!!!! shake it and if you can hear/feel 'powder' inside it's live!,also as these rounds are Armour piercing the projectile will be section 5(unless the core has been removed) and illegal to own unless you have the approporate section on a FAC

All the best
Tony

Difficult to tell if it is live remotely. Does the primer have a firing pin mark? However it could still be inert even if not. Where abouts in London are you? I am in SW and would be happy to have a look at it and inert it if necessary.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks fo the advice Tony, and TonyE - let's hope this isn't a live one then!
It does look like there is a firing pin mark on the primer, and I can't hear anything when I shake it either - all good signs then.
I've found a local contact who's hopefully going to take a look at it for me this week, but if no joy, I'll certainly give you a shout. I work in SW London, so probably easy to meet.
Also from a second look, mine is dated 6/18, not 9/18 as I first thought - stupidly reading the 6 upside down. Does that make it any more or less collectable?
Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian,
sounding better towards it being inert,there is a thread on here somewhere about a month of manufacture that none of us have not found yet,may be worth doing a post search on this.
But PLEASE do not allow your local contact 'pull' this round unless they have the correct equipment to do so,I have seen so many nice/scarce rounds ruined by plier marks and cracked necks ect.
I would highly recomend TonyE's offer to look at this for you,he knows what he is doing,has the equipment to do it properly and he is a nice guy,sound as a pound!(and you could get to see his amazing collection).
Any chance of a photo of your round(we all love photo's)

All the best
Tony

P.S the month issue is on this thread, Doh!

Last edited:
Apart from t'other Tony's (smle) glowing testimonial, (for which I paid him hardly anything at all) there remains the question of the AP bullet which as he says is Section 5. I have Section 5 authority so it is not a problem for me, live or inert. Also I fully agree with his point about not damaging the round by trying to pull it without propoer equipment.

let me know if I can help.

Regards
TonyE

Month "10" is the one that no one seems to have seen, looking back over the thread.
Best regards Weasel.

The round is officially added with TF

It is the shortage of; Tank nd Fleugzeug.
After my knowledge there was at the end of WW1 an MG developed for this round.

An empty case with bullet weights about 102 gram.
If the round weights more, it is time to take some action.

Dutch

I also know that Tony has they correct equipment to pull this round as I built it for him.

Very interesting thread gents.
Is it true that it exist a training round with wooden bullet for this rifle?
I might be able to get a picture of it to morrow but cant guaranty it is the right caliber but the seller say it is 13 mm casing with 8mm wooden projectile. What would a case like that be worth?

Cheers
Freaky