What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RFX Richmond Foundry

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
RFX Richmond Foundry and their grenades

I have yet to find any documentation on Richmond Foundry to include their location (suspected to be Richmond VA) or how long they were in contract to produce MK II and M21 bodies.

Does anyone have any info that would point me in the right direction?

Here is the reason I ask. Over the years it was my understanding that Richmond Foundry only produced the M21 grenade. The grenade shown below is clearly a MK II body and as you can see by the photograph of the interior it was not a practice body that someone has modified.

So as a part of all this info I'm trying to put together this would seem to be an important piece in the time line.

Attachments

• MKII wM10.jpg
    MKII wM10.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 103
  • MKII RFX.jpg
    MKII RFX.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 100
  • MKII RFX base.jpg
    MKII RFX base.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 110
  • MK II RFX Interior.jpg
    MK II RFX Interior.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I have yet to find any documentation on Richmond Foundry to include their location (suspected to be Richmond VA) or how long they were in contract to produce MK II and M21 bodies.

Does anyone have any info that would point me in the right direction?

Yes, I think Richmond, Va. RFX's are all post WW2.

Regards

Yes, I think Richmond, Va. RFX's are all post WW2.

Regards

Part of my problem is I have yet to find anything that says Richmond VA vs. a foundry by the same name in TX.

Oh and I added some photos of the item.

What the hell is the last pic of?? I have no idea what I am looking at??

It is the inside bottom of the same grenade as seen through the fuze hole. It is done to show that the bottom of the grenade was cast that way and not plugged and smoothed over on the outside.

The photo was taken using a Rigid video scope.

Ahhhh, I see, it is a little out of focus?

Not really it's more of the fact that I just de-rusted that grenade and it's pretty damn clean and shiny on the inside but the pitting is still there.

Here is a side by side of that grenade and an early version with a factory installed closure plug. You can see the interior casting line clearly if you look hard enough.

Attachments

• MK II RFX Interior.jpg
    MK II RFX Interior.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Early MK II Interior.jpg
    Early MK II Interior.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 76
Not really it's more of the fact that I just de-rusted that grenade and it's pretty damn clean and shiny on the inside but the pitting is still there.

Here is a side by side of that grenade and an early version with a factory installed closure plug. You can see the interior casting line clearly if you look hard enough.

That's a neat little camera, Yep, I see them. Thanks for showing pics and the info.

Regards, Steve

Rfx, rfx, rfx, rfx!!!!!

I'll post this here also, because it really belongs here too, and maybe finally will help answer all the RFX questions that always seem to to come up again and again, and again. It's my theories and opinions about "RFX" marked grenade bodies. I copied and pasted this from my answer to yet another thread where these RFX grenades came up once again and caused confusion.....
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/mk-ii-grenade-t77348.html

I know this is a little bit of reading, but if truly interested, Please continue to read on...............all comments, possible corrections, or new previously unknown info on this issue are very much welcomed.................

The only solid bottom RFX I have seen, is the one in this thread by Eodtek http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/rfx-ri...ry-t71633.html
(this thread)
This body was an enigma to me...but think I have figured it out

Please continue to read............

First..... I have never seen an early pre-war, a WW2, or a post war "U.S. government issue" pineapple grenade body, that the body of fuze, and the neck of the grenade body did not "almost exactly match in size". The size of the neck on this RFX is much bigger than the base of fuze. No U.S. issue pneapple grenades will be found with this amount of size difference. (see pic) Anybody....Please show a real U.S. issue body like this if you have one.
(I do not think you will though)

To me, that fuze does not look like it fits that body properly but he says it does, and it's also 9/16 thread size, and the M10-M6 type fuze fits it properly. OK, I'll believe that, but.............more on this below.....

Please keep reading............

Secondly, from the interior view of this "RFX HE MkII grenade body" it looks like cheap cast iron, and nothing that the US Government would use for a HE grenade. Our grenades were cast from a certain quality type of metal, if I remember correctly a sintered steel or iron. We Definitely did not use a cheap cast iron for HE grenade bodies.

All my US HE grenade bodies, and every other one I have looked inside of, which is many, looked nothing on the inside like the supposed "HE" RFX grenade shown below, they all have looked similar to second interior photo below of the older HE body with the filler plug.

I think the RFX body in pics below is a cheap copy made by who knows who, that happened to be made with 9/16 threads instead of the larger threads everyone is used to seeing, and this caused a lot of debate and confusion. Look carefully at this RFX body and think about it. It's not a US issue body. It's a copy. Even the font of the RFX does not look proper to me. The inside is a dead giveaway, it's cheap cast iron.

I've also never seen any "original" green and yellow stripe solid bottom RFX marked grenades with WW2 M10-M6 series fuzes, and still waiting for someone to show one. Maybe they are out there, but I just don't think so.

***In my opinion, I think all "original" U.S. Gov contracted RFX pineapple bodies will have a hole on bottom, and are post WW2 M21 trainers, period. I do not think that RFX ever made a solid bottom HE pineapple body for the US government. ****

I also think now maybe all solid bottom RFX bodies that have popped up, are just cast iron copies of varying ages that have caused a lot of confusion for collectors. I would look inside All solid bottom RFX bodies you have or see, and if it looks like the one shown below, rough cast iron, it's a copy, NOT US issue.

But...... if some of those nice WW2 dated ordnance dept. "minutes reports" that have been shown here before, can show that RFX was a contractor for HE solid bottom MkII grenade bodies during or after WW2, or a period photograph is shown, then I will surely change my opinions.

Attachments

• Picture 129.jpg
    Picture 129.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Picture 126.jpg
    Picture 126.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture 127.jpg
    Picture 127.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 13
Like you I have searched for years for some kind of documentation that would give a location of the infamous Richmond Foundry. Not only can I not find that, I really have never found anything in what I consider an official document that connects the RFX with any production facility, let alone with one named Richmond Foundry. I have also found the Richmond Foundry in Richmond, Texas. It was built until 1958 and went out of business in mid 2009, with no mention in any of the company history of grenade production. I have never been able to find any such foundry in Richmond, VA. Not to say it wasn't there because I just don't know. I have only seen the RFX and Richmond , VA and Richmond Foundry tied together in the conversations of ordnance collectors. Whenever I ask their source it is "Well, I heard it someplace." If anyone has any trustworthy documentation tying RFX to the name Richmond Foundry and/or to Richmond, VA please come forth! Bob

Like you I have searched for years for some kind of documentation that would give a location of the infamous Richmond Foundry. Not only can I not find that, I really have never found anything in what I consider an official document that connects the RFX with any production facility, let alone with one named Richmond Foundry. I have also found the Richmond Foundry in Richmond, Texas. It was built until 1958 and went out of business in mid 2009, with no mention in any of the company history of grenade production. I have never been able to find any such foundry in Richmond, VA. Not to say it wasn't there because I just don't know. I have only seen the RFX and Richmond , VA and Richmond Foundry tied together in the conversations of ordnance collectors. Whenever I ask their source it is "Well, I heard it someplace." If anyone has any trustworthy documentation tying RFX to the name Richmond Foundry and/or to Richmond, VA please come forth! Bob

Don't know about RFX, but I believe I read once that about a third of our WWII grenades were produced in California, - Richmond California -. Don't know how accurate it was, but it was interesting reading.

Thought I would clear up the Richmond foundary controversy for you. Attached you will find documentary evidence that
1- RFX is indeed Richmond Foundary & Mfg Co. Inc.
2- Richmond Foundary is From Richmond VA

Look at the markings on the bottom box.

This photo comes from and RCOC Ammunition Bulletin (Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps)

Hope this clears it up a bit for you all.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Attachments

• rfx.jpg
    rfx.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 80
An extremely interesting thread.

Can we see a pic of that rigid "borescope" camera? I'm thinkin' I want one of those.

Rick

Wow, thanks for posting that picture. That should clear up the issue of what the RFX means. I was running out of google options trying to find out what RFX meant. Now the question remains, did they make HE nades also? :confused:

Thought I would clear up the Richmond foundary controversy for you. Attached you will find documentary evidence that

This photo comes from and RCOC Ammunition Bulletin (Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps)

I was sure that was meaning of RFX anyway, I've seen a pic of another container that said this name, but never could find the photo again ........But here it is once more, clear as can be, and in black and white ....

Richmond Foundry & Mfg.Co. Inc. Richmond Va.

Very good, thanks for taking time to show this scan of RCOC bulletin.
I think this should clear it up for the others who needed know.

Last edited:

Well, I think this pic solves the mistery for ever. It is a great pic, thank you Sgtlynn. But I strongly believe RFX never done HE bodies.