What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RFX Richmond Foundry

Hi Steve, Unfortunately I have no idea which auction site I got it from. The photo properties suggest it was taken on July 11 2004, so it was a while ago. Heres another pic that went with the auction that shows a bit more of the stenciling. Cheers

Attachments

• 4 steve.jpg
    4 steve.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 33
Hi Steve, Unfortunately I have no idea which auction site I got it from. The photo properties suggest it was taken on July 11 2004, so it was a while ago. Heres another pic that went with the auction that shows a bit more of the stenciling. Cheers

Great, thanks for this photo also. I flipped the pic upside down to see better....
Looks to say...........

25-24? Charge Assemblies and Hole Plugs for Grenade, Hand, Practice, M21
?? 82-1-48? Revised 5-24-44

Attachments

• M21corks&charges.jpg
    M21corks&charges.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 15
  • M21corks&charges#1.jpg
    M21corks&charges#1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 25
Keep rambling away, these threads on MkII/M21 and RFX have been thought provoking and very informative.

I find this thread very interesting. I was born in Richmond, Va. but I did not grow up there. My Father was born and raised in Richmond and I asked him if he knew of the Richmond Foundry and Mfg Co. He said it was vaguely familiar but could not remember the location. He was more familiar with the famous Tredegar Foundry. I am going to ask some of my Uncles and see if they can provide any info.

Yeah, This thread gets sweeter as time passes. In the meantime I am not idle with this one but steadily and slowly working on it. Great stuff...Dano

M43 shipping Can

In case anyone is interested.........
The fiber shipping container in pic below, that the corks and black powder charges came in for the M21 practice grenades, were marked............
"Container, M43" on top and bottom.

And as most know already, frag grenade shipping cans were M41 or M41A1, and Thermite, Incendiary Smoke grenades etc, were marked M42 or M42A1

Attachments

• M21corks&charges#1.jpg
    M21corks&charges#1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 4
  • M21corks&charges.jpg
    M21corks&charges.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4
I say No, they did not..................

and the reason for my answer is that no one has seen one before.

Steve, there are a lot of things I have never seen before but they still exist.

Here are 4 photos of the interior of MK II grenades. Anyone want to take a guess as to which one is a solid, flat bottom with a side stamping of RFX?

Mike

An extremely interesting thread.

Can we see a pic of that rigid "borescope" camera? I'm thinkin' I want one of those.

Rick

Rick,

It's this scope...[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-30063-Explorer-Digital-Inspection/dp/B001GMAQOG"]Amazon.com: Ridgid 30063 Mico Explorer Digital Inspection Camera: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41I3kjv8e%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@41I3kjv8e%2BL[/ame]

Attachments

• SNAK0003.jpg
    SNAK0003.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 11
  • SNAK0004.jpg
    SNAK0004.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 11
  • SNAK0005.jpg
    SNAK0005.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 13
  • SNAK0006.jpg
    SNAK0006.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
i remember selling RFX prac grens when i worked in yeomans army stores in the 80s for 5.99.there was loads of them.only got one myself.:tinysmile_hmm_t: ta Darrol.

Rfx

The earliest date I have seen on an m205A1 RFX M21 pineapple spoon was 1953 and have seen the dates climb from there. Mine has 2-54 date on its M205A1 spoon. I am of the school of thought that the real practice RFX M21 pineapples appeared right after the Korean War and continued until the pineapples demise in the Vietnam War. I am going to call my RFX supplier and see if he will go through the trouble of giving me the dates off of the spoons on his remaining stock of RFX M21 pineapple practice grenades (all have the M205A1 spoon) and see what I can shake from the trees. I am intrigued by both the RFX lemons and pineapples and do hope to find more definitive answers sometime in the future....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 985.jpg
    Picture 985.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I am of the school of thought that the real practice RFX M21 pineapples appeared right after the Korean War and continued until the pineapples demise in the Vietnam War.

Dano,

I have a flat bottom MK II stamped RFX that is OD Green painted over a Yellow body.

Dano,

I have a flat bottom MK II stamped RFX that is OD Green painted over a Yellow body.
Hi Eodtek, Like Steve I would love to see detailed pictures if possible. It could certainly shed some light on our RFX views. Sounds extremely interesting.....Dano

Last edited:
Steve, there are a lot of things I have never seen before but they still exist.

Hi Mike, Yes, this is very true sometimes. But I still say no WW2 RFX's.
Remember, I am only talking about pre-Sept. 1945

Here are 4 photos of the interior of MK II grenades. Anyone want to take a guess as to which one is a solid, flat bottom with a side stamping of RFX?

Mike

Maybe 1,2 & 4? :D Number 3 looks like it has a lead plug

Amazing, this is a really great item, thanks for showing it. The camera saves the pics you want, and then you can just download them to your computer with the USB cable. it comes with mirrors too, very neat.

Never thought too much about it, but I'm sure these are used much more often today in many important applications. 20 years ago something like this would have cost 10 times as much, and been 10 times as big

Rfx m21

Has anybody seen an earlier than 1953 date on a RFX M21 practice grenade spoon?? Dano
Also out of curiousity does anyone know when the U.S. changed from the "debossed" spoon stamping to the ink stamping?? Dano

Last edited: