What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show Me Your 30mm, A-10 Aircraft Rounds - PLEASE :-)

apfsds

Premium Member
I recently added a 19" sectioned piece of a, A-10, 30mm barrel sectioned longitudinally threw the breech end. I would love to ad a bunch of different kinds of 30mm A-10 rounds to a display I would like to make and would really appreciate if members could share pictures of their 30's used in this aircraft so I know what inert examples to try and hunt down. :) I know the cases can come in an assortment of colors to indicate case manufacturer and sometimes spaced out every 10 or more round to help the counting process.

Grateful for any help.

Jason

IMG_4380.jpgIMG_4386.jpgIMG_4385.jpgIMG_4384.jpgIMG_4382.jpgIMG_4383.jpg

Here you are sir

Attachments

• 30x173.jpg
    30x173.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 30x173 GAU RAP AP.JPG
    30x173 GAU RAP AP.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 93
Thank you so much. Super grateful. These were exactly what I was hoping to see. I know there are so many kids out there. It always so incredible to see your sectioning work. These are stunning.

Thank you big time for sharing these photos.

Jason

I would like a barrel for these

Attachments

• 20220810_100949.jpg
    20220810_100949.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 121
Thank you so much for posting your, 30's, Tomsk. They are awesome. It seems I have a bunch I need to track down. These are so great, some I have never seen before. Super Thankful

Jason

30x173 rounds

Hi Jason,

The ones on the left are 30x173 for the ground and naval based cannons. The ones on the right are for the Dutch goalkeeper system. Same gun as the A-10, but has a different rifling (as far as I understand). The 4 in the middle (counting to the right from the pink/purple one) are for the A-10.
20230409_113720.jpg

Dominique

Could any one confirm the number of lands and grooves for a barrel of the gau8a as wikipedia states Progressive R/H parabolic twist 24 grooves only i have 20 or so fired TP projectiles pgu15 and all have 20 high points of rifling ie: 20 grooves in the barrel Thanks
Tom

Heck Yes!

Thanks so much for this great photo. Definitely drooling over many of them. The two black projectiles (one sectioned) with the doubt bands, are those the ones I sent you way back? :)

Jason

Heck Yes!

Thanks so much for this great photo. Definitely drooling over many of them. The two black projectiles (one sectioned) with the doubt bands, are those the ones I sent you way back? :)

Jason
Yes, those are the ones. Still need to finish the cutaway.

My small collection of 30mm GAU-8 dummies, with projectile/driving band variations. Recovered fired 30mm TP projectile and a couple of GAU-7 dummies to the right.

013.JPG

These are really nice!

It is very interesting to see the fired projectile and the way it deformed. Also, the round on the far right looks to have a triple wide driving band that is really unusual and neat to see. Thanks for sharing this great pic of your collection.

Jason

This is the top part of the experimental case variation with the steel base. Unfortunately missing its base.
158mm long.
Dave.

IMG_3020.jpgIMG_3021.jpg

Thats the craziest 30 case yet, Dave. WOW. Gotta be one of the rarest to even see.

Jason

I have been actively hunting down inert 30's since my last post. Thanks to some amazing friends, this is what I have so far. Still on the hunt, especially for the colored cases.

Jason

IMG_5491.jpg

Hey Pal,

When you find the time, could you please send a photo that shows the inside of the sectioned, black 30mm AP projectile you worked on? would love to see what's under the windscreen :)

Thanks Big Time,

Jason

So I have been bonkers trying to hunt down more examples of these A-10, 30 x 173 rounds, and have been lucky to have added a few more nice ones. Seems there are so many variants to still try and track down. In the end, I have a mega masterplan display I would like to build on both the ammunition and gun system.

One of my dream items was to eventually locate a scaled down model of the gun to include. Thanks to my longtime friend of over 25 years+ @slickrick who is also a master level model builder, came up with the idea of making a 1:32 Scale diorama recreating the iconic photo of the, GAU-8 Gun on top of a flatbed trailer next to a 1969 VW BUG, to show the size of the gun system the A-10 was built around. His skills are off the charts and I am way past grateful. The amazing thing is that the model of the gun did not come with the ammunition chute system, and, Rick fabricated it from scratch. The trailer I sent him was a giant 18 wheeler flatbed and he cut it up, modified it and added his own wheels and axil system. TALENT

This is what I have gathered up so far. I know I have a very long way to go still before I start construction LOL

Still looking for great reference pictures if anyone has any represented in their collections.

Jason
PS: Rick Rules :)
PSS: I want to thank all of the many, IAA & BOCN Members and great friends who have helped send both photos and specimens for this Nerd Project I am on LOL

IMG_7263.jpg

IMG_7261.jpgIMG_7262.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent model Rick! Quite amazing!

Nice collection. Above you mentioned the round with 3 rotating bands. That was the Philco-Ford design submitted when the gun was being designed and evaluated, and companies offered their particular take on a system. The Philco-Ford dummies have the 3 rotating bands.