What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show Me Your 30mm, A-10 Aircraft Rounds - PLEASE :-)

Jason, you have amassed an excellent collection in a short amount of time! You have excellent Hunter-Gatherer skills!

You should post another family photo!

Jason, you have amassed an excellent collection in a short amount of time! You have excellent Hunter-Gatherer skills!

You should post another family photo!
Thank you so much, John. Means the world coming from someone of your caliber (No Pun Intended, WAIT, pun intended ) LOL

I am so hooked on this round, aircraft and gun system and can't gather enough information on it. My understanding of the gun itself in coming along day by day. Today I learned that there are indeed "Internal links," the cradle the rounds keeping them orientated and spaced properly. Now i need to find a 24" section :)

Jason

IMG_8679 3.jpgIMG_8801 3.jpg30mm A-10 Internal Links Inspection.jpg

Last edited:
Now that I see those links, I recall seeing them here or on the IAA forum some time back. Makes more sense to have a positive drive system vs just being pushed through.

Yes, I found out they call them, "CONVEYOR LINKS." Not 100% if they are used threw all chute sections or just select chutes yet. Or if they are one long full section of links that carousel throwout the entire gun system. Somehow the round has to be removed to enter the gun breach?

Jason

Attachments

• Resized_20231220_180329.jpeg
    Resized_20231220_180329.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Resized_20231220_175159.jpeg
    Resized_20231220_175159.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Resized_20231220_175040.jpeg
    Resized_20231220_175040.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Resized_20231220_175017.jpeg
    Resized_20231220_175017.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 6
Jason, if you find a source for the conveyor links, get a few extras for me please. 6 or 8 would be plenty. We can work some kind of trade.

Way past thrilled to have located a section of the correct conveyor links used on the, GAU-8, for my display in progress.

Jason

IMG_9360.jpgIMG_9359.jpg

Really fantastic examples shown here, can’t wait to add my own although it will have to wait until the end of the month.

In the meantime I thought I would mention to double check the case length of the Coastal Patrol and Interdiction Craft (CPIC) case. The US CPIC program had Emerson Electric create the EX-74 turret system with 2, 30x170mm Oerlikon KCB guns. I’ve had quite a bit of confusion trying to ID them in the past after buying a mixed collection of them and GAU-8 rounds. Most cases I’ve seen are dark green steel cases made by Amron.

So I have been bonkers trying to hunt down more examples of these A-10, 30 x 173 rounds, and have been lucky to have added a few more nice ones. Seems there are so many variants to still try and track down. In the end, I have a mega masterplan display I would like to build on both the ammunition and gun system.

One of my dream items was to eventually locate a scaled down model of the gun to include. Thanks to my longtime friend of over 25 years+ @slickrick who is also a master level model builder, came up with the idea of making a 1:32 Scale diorama recreating the iconic photo of the, GAU-8 Gun on top of a flatbed trailer next to a 1969 VW BUG, to show the size of the gun system the A-10 was built around. His skills are off the charts and I am way past grateful. The amazing thing is that the model of the gun did not come with the ammunition chute system, and, Rick fabricated it from scratch. The trailer I sent him was a giant 18 wheeler flatbed and he cut it up, modified it and added his own wheels and axil system. TALENT

This is what I have gathered up so far. I know I have a very long way to go still before I start construction LOL

Still looking for great reference pictures if anyone has any represented in their collections.

Jason
PS: Rick Rules :)
PSS: I want to thank all of the many, IAA & BOCN Members and great friends who have helped send both photos and specimens for this Nerd Project I am on LOL

View attachment 190563

View attachment 190561View attachment 190562
@apfsds Super cool! Thanks for sharing this with us and of course everybody else as well. Sorry to ask but is that a real GAU-8 dataplate? Where can you get one?

Para

Really fantastic examples shown here, can’t wait to add my own although it will have to wait until the end of the month.

In the meantime I thought I would mention to double check the case length of the Coastal Patrol and Interdiction Craft (CPIC) case. The US CPIC program had Emerson Electric create the EX-74 turret system with 2, 30x170mm Oerlikon KCB guns. I’ve had quite a bit of confusion trying to ID them in the past after buying a mixed collection of them and GAU-8 rounds. Most cases I’ve seen are dark green steel cases made by Amron.
Thanks so much, Rhys. A bit confused. Do you suspect one of my 30's here may be a CPIC? All have aluminum cases and measure 30 x 173. I do have two steel cases on, GB, I can check.

Jason

Thanks so much, Rhys. A bit confused. Do you suspect one of my 30's here may be a CPIC? All have aluminum cases and measure 30 x 173. I do have two steel cases on, GB, I can check.

Jason
Sorry should have clarified, it was for the neat thin walled steel case Mick posted! You’re are definitely all GAU-8 rounds!

Blown away, Tomsk. You have some truly epic specimens here. Can not thank you enough for sharing. The 7 barrel shroud is drool worthy as is your chute section with the conveyor links. I hope you do not mind, but I would like to save these pictures in my reference photo collection. I am trying to build a large display on both the GAU-8 gun system and ammunition, these pictures really help ad to my understanding. That shroud is melting my brain.

Jason

I recently added a 19" sectioned piece of a, A-10, 30mm barrel sectioned longitudinally threw the breech end. I would love to ad a bunch of different kinds of 30mm A-10 rounds to a display I would like to make and would really appreciate if members could share pictures of their 30's used in this aircraft so I know what inert examples to try and hunt down. :) I know the cases can come in an assortment of colors to indicate case manufacturer and sometimes spaced out every 10 or more round to help the counting process.

Grateful for any help.

Jason

View attachment 182689View attachment 182690View attachment 182691View attachment 182692View attachment 182693View attachment 182694
Have 8 a10 30mm rounds gave you a great price to buy. Joe gatz