What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show Me Your 30mm, A-10 Aircraft Rounds - PLEASE :-)

Excellent model Rick! Quite amazing!

Nice collection. Above you mentioned the round with 3 rotating bands. That was the Philco-Ford design submitted when the gun was being designed and evaluated, and companies offered their particular take on a system. The Philco-Ford dummies have the 3 rotating bands.
Thank you so much for the excellent information as always, John. Super grateful.

Rick, is truly incredible. That model and diorama came out so great.

Jason

Recently added two very nice, TP Rounds to the 30mm A-10 ammunition collection. Both have the exact same stenciling and lot numbers. Only difference I can find is that the primer sealant is Red on one and Blue on the other. Thought this was interesting.

Jason

IMG_7290.jpgIMG_7291.jpgIMG_7292.jpg

AJD is aerojet,downey.downey is the city in los angeles where the cases were made(not sure if they were loaded there)
i used to live in the next city,whittier

AJD is aerojet,downey.downey is the city in los angeles where the cases were made(not sure if they were loaded there)
i used to live in the next city,whittier
That is great information. I did not know this. Thank you so much.

Now I just need to track down more specimens :) GAME ON

Jason that's an amazing selection you have and full marks to Rick for his model making skills, brilliant!
Thanks for showing them.
Dave.

Got to pondering. In order to add to/complete the GAU8 collection, maybe you need to get the magazine for display. Might have to rearrange the living room, but it'd be worth it, don't you think? And a barrel set. Don't forget the barrel set! I hear Davis-Monthan has a few spares in the desert.

Here are a couple of specialty pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
I have this labelled up as "coastal patrol interdiction ctg"

Attachments

• 20231027_103358.jpg
    20231027_103358.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20231027_103415.jpg
    20231027_103415.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 23
Jason that's an amazing selection you have and full marks to Rick for his model making skills, brilliant!
Thanks for showing them.
Dave.
RICK, Rules! Insane modeling skills and talents.He had to custom make and modify many of the pieces to that model to make to look so good. Just the best!

Jason

A few more rounds, from inside the cabinet.
Thank you SO MUCH, Jeff! Drooling over many of those. Just WOW! I would love to be able to save these pictures for my reference files, but for some reason I can not . If you ever get the time in your busy life, could you possibly email them to me? No worries at all if you cannot. ZERO RUSH. Just grateful to see them.

I have this labelled up as "coastal patrol interdiction ctg"
Thank you for sharing this photo. I have not seen this one before, especially with that unusual case. I wonder if it is, GOALKEEPER related in some way?

Jason

Got to pondering. In order to add to/complete the GAU8 collection, maybe you need to get the magazine for display. Might have to rearrange the living room, but it'd be worth it, don't you think? And a barrel set. Don't forget the barrel set! I hear Davis-Monthan has a few spares in the desert.
I would love to ad a compete A-10 barrel one day. I have actually seen a few people selling them, but CRAZY $. I really want to ad a 2 or 3 foot section of the ammunition chute system to display with TP rounds inside. So far no luck locating that chute yet. THE HUNT IS ON!

Just finished adding the powder to the 1/4 sectioned, HONEYWELL TP round. Man, that was not easy. Much harder than I was expecting. Came out pretty nice, but makes me really admire the factory made cutaways even more.

Jason

IMG_7941.jpgIMG_7943.jpgIMG_7944.jpg

Well after a long time of searching and letter writing ( I mean E-mails LOL), I finally found a section of ammunition feed chute for the A-10. Beyond thrilled. One thing that is driving me crazy is how the rounds stay orientate with the correct spacing with-in the chute system as they travel to the gun. So far, after looking at countless photos, but still wanting to see more, I believe I have narrowed down this sections position as being connected to the ammunition supply storage then to the beginning of the feed system traveling threw a few other chute sections and into the gun. In some photos, I can see an internal cog system inside the chute systems.

Jason
PS: Attaching a photo of my new section filled with inert TP rounds and Dummy rounds. I have them case to case touching each other. I doubt this is how they are positioned for travel???

Attachments

• My 30mm A-10 Loaded Chute.JPG
    My 30mm A-10 Loaded Chute.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Well after a long time of searching and letter writing ( I mean E-mails LOL), I finally found a section of ammunition feed chute for the A-10. Beyond thrilled. One thing that is driving me crazy is how the rounds stay orientate with the correct spacing with-in the chute system as they travel to the gun. So far, after ;looking at countless photos, but still wanting to see more, I believe I have narrowed down this sections position as being connected to the ammunition supply storage then to the beginning of the feed system traveling few a few other sections and into the gun. In some photos, I can see an internal cog system inside the chute systems.

Jason
PS: Attaching a photo of my new section filled with inert TP rounds and Dummy rounds. I have them case to case touching each other. I doubt this is how they are positioned for travel???
A most excellent addition to the collection. I'm pretty sure the shells "flow" freely in the chute. Pushed along by those behind. No links that I know of. I'll have to investigate that, now.

A most excellent addition to the collection. I'm pretty sure the shells "flow" freely in the chute. Pushed along by those behind. No links that I know of. I'll have to investigate that, now.
Any, SLICK RICK, help is always appreciated my friend. I am so stoked about this chute section.

I love that!

I have spent days on youtube and the net hunting down pictures, videos and these animations. So far I have learned the the device that loads the rounds definitely has some kind of internal chute sprocket system that spaces and orientates the rounds before they enter the gun system. Also, the rigid chute just after the chute I have which is first in line out of the magazine also looks to have a sprocket type spacer which then intern feeds rounds into a flexible chute that directly feeds the gun with 23 links that also has some kind of internal spacer and cartridge griping apparatus.

All the other flex chutes seem to have rounds stacked up side by side touching each other. They must be stacked tight, because any gapping can allow a round or more to lay down horizontally and mess up everything. Still a learning process for sure. I have a friend who works on a few types of fighter jets asking one of his friends who is a, A-10 mechanic for more info.