What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show Me Your 30mm, A-10 Aircraft Rounds - PLEASE :-)

Blown away, Tomsk. You have some truly epic specimens here. Can not thank you enough for sharing. The 7 barrel shroud is drool worthy as is your chute section with the conveyor links. I hope you do not mind, but I would like to save these pictures in my reference photo collection. I am trying to build a large display on both the GAU-8 gun system and ammunition, these pictures really help ad to my understanding. That shroud is melting my brain.

Jason
Yeah go for it mate that shroud as you call it is the barrel support bearing would be halfway down the barrels this came from same placehog panel.JPG

Yeah go for it mate that shroud as you call it is the barrel support bearing would be halfway down the barrels this came from same placeView attachment 193503
Well that's freaking amazing. Just beautiful. I love the reference books you have also. Do any of those books have near pictures of all the various ammunition shut sections going in and out of the gun and magazine? The barrel support bearing is a thing of beauty. One hell of a sweet artifact.

Jason

Does anyone have the ability to find these two manuals on the GAU-8 Gun Maintenance and ammunition? A friend was kind enough to to locate the proper ID #'s to the manuals, but I cannot find them. Assuming they were released :)

Jason

"The United States Air Force (USAF) document TO 11W1-12-10-2, a Technical Order (TO), covers the GAU-8/A gun.

If you can find this USAF publication too, TO 11A13-14-7, you might find it useful as it covers the GAU-8/A’s ammunition suite."

Last edited:
Pondering all the ways I plan on incorporating the specimens and related items in my endgame display, I think I am going to put a both a Honeywell and Aerojet example of reach ammunition type (Dummy, TP, API and HEI) side by side in conveyor links before entering the ammunition feed chute. It a perfect world, I have those examples sectioned with ID plates underneath. I am still in the acquit ion stages and need to add a bunch of additional specimens still. Note the API are both Aerojet examples.

Jason

IMG_9539.JPG

Extremely thrilled to have tracked down a bunch of serious documents concerning the A-10, and the history of the GAU-8 ammunition development and methodology. Lots of reports, notes on the entire development from the short case & projectiles, 30 x 165, to thin walled cases, durable and durable dummies, all types of ammunition adopted, contract competitions ect. I have a ton of reading ahead of me. Took some pictures of just a few of these documents.

Excited to wrap my brain around this story.

Jason

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9833.jpg
    IMG_9833.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9832.jpg
    IMG_9832.jpg
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9834.jpg
    IMG_9834.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9830.jpg
    IMG_9830.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9827.jpg
    IMG_9827.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9841.jpg
    IMG_9841.jpg
    890.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9836.jpg
    IMG_9836.jpg
    904.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9839.jpg
    IMG_9839.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9837.jpg
    IMG_9837.jpg
    950.3 KB · Views: 8
Thrilled to have just added my second purple case for the GAU-8 in 30mm x 173.

The one on the left (W / FUMER) I have learned is an experimental R&D round that has a tracer that produces gases that help extend range.

The other one on the right just came via UPS. It does not have, “FUMER,” stenciled on its case, but does have the, “SFT,” on it. What does SFT mean?

Jason

IMG_0205.jpgIMG_0207.jpgIMG_0208.jpg

In your library collection, you have a nice drawing of the Philco Ford Dummy.
Thanks, John. Still going threw all the amazing paperwork in that folder I bought. Pretty sure it came from one of the developers?

Jason

In my obsession to hunt down various GAU-8 rounds, misc parts and research, I found and purchased some additional conveyor links of a different design. These new darker colored links are A LOT Heavier than the first type I located. I am assuming this second type was the first generation MOD and that the silver colored, lighter links replaced them to save overall weight (PURE SPECULATION)?

These links were harder to locate then almost any specimen I have tried hunting down and am so excited to ad them to my eventual display masterplan in my head.

One thing that puzzles me; If these links are screaming threw the ammunition feed & ejection chutes at insane speeds, they must create a ton of friction and heat? Surprised there is no fire or erosion risks?

Jason

Attachments

• IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 17
I’ve got very similar internal conveyor links for the M230 on the Apache, they’re a darker grey but made of titanium and very light (same with the muzzle brake). I’ve never seen the second type before, very nice finds!

Massive weight difference in the two types.

The darker links which I speculate were the first design also have part numbers stamped in two spots. Also, they use different stye connection bolts. The light colored and weighted links use a flat head screwdriver bolt head and the darker links use a alan wrench bolt head.

Are the M230 links hard to find? I saw a picture once and they are also really cool.

Jason

Love the look these GAU-8 conveyor links give the rounds. Such an ingenious design and weapon system.

Jason

Attachments

• IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 11