What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

Here is what I brought home, not including small arms stuff. A number of pieces were items gifted, the two 57mm pieces etc. The 75mm and MKIII fuze was $25.00, so I couldn't resist. My top finds were the 30lb chemical bomb, the 37mm Davy Crockett, the 30mm Hughes-Lockless and the practice VB rifle grenade. I was also given some General's retirement piece, it was a shadow-box including the two submunitions in the fourth picture and two of the 40mm. The parts that actually interested me were the two models of the submunition dispensers also in the fourth picture.

IMG_0218.jpgIMG_0221.JPGIMG_0223.JPGIMG_0225.jpgIMG_0227.JPGIMG_0228.JPG

Very nice! The Davy Crockett spotter is a wonderful find. What is the little rusty steel item next to it?

What is the little rusty steel item next to it?

The practice VB rifle grenade is a tough find. This is only the second one I've ever seen and the first I've had a chance to purchase. Rough condition, but still great.

Had some guys from one of the local teams over today, trying out a new capture screen for their X-ray. A brand new development, very portable, does a fantastic job and takes about the same amount of time as a cell phone picture. Essentially by the time that they bend over and pick up the unit the shot is processed and ready to be downloaded, reviewed, e-mailed, etc.

They are currently working on an article for The Detonator (IABTI publication) on X-raying military ordnance, so I cannot show all pics, but here is one as an example.

M43.jpg

Some new images from today. These were just quick shots, not the purpose of our effort so I could not spend much time playing.

Fuze 1.jpgFuze 2.jpgM52 construction variants 1.jpgM52 construction variants 2.jpgMine fuze  1.jpgMine fuze  2.jpgNBB  1.jpgNBB  2.jpgUnk Sub 1.jpgunk sub 2.jpg

Hi Jeff, looks great.
What was the name of the droppings microphone? I cannot remember

NBB, a "noiseless button bomb". Actually a transmitter/switch, which turned on microphones.

A lot of fun to have access to other's toys. I try to keep notes on what I want to see images of on the next session.

It has been a very busy year so far, with little time for posting or collecting. A few pieces still trickle in, here are some recent ones. When I can find nothing else at shows I revert to small arms. We have well over 1000 different rounds of small arms, plus some interesting boxes. I like .22 boxes as well, we have over 1000 of them (that's 50,000 rounds for you folks restricted on small arms). Some of the recent small arms boxes include Remington 30-06 factory dummy, a decent box of .38 Special tracer, a box of M185 14.5mm sub-cal rounds (orange tip), and a hard to find box of .44 Automag.

The ordnance pieces are all nice, a donated 75mm with a threaded steel plug, a pair of Russian grenades, a WWI 50 lb bomb, and a great pair of desk top pieces - an M4 CS sprayer and an E15R1 smoke grenade. I love the shape of the grenade.

IMG_0493.JPGIMG_0494.JPGIMG_0499.JPGIMG_0500.JPGIMG_0503.JPGIMG_0502.jpg

Finally had a little free time today, used it to chase down a lead on a flechette projectile. The lead was good, but I had to buy some trash to get to the piece I wanted. For each purchase I made, I got into a little bit better stuff. Eventually I got the projo I was after, a US 152mm M625A1. The paint is not perfect, but it is a full round and difficult to find. I was not hurt terribly on the other pieces either. Does anyone want to take a guess to the ID of the mortar? The cutaway incendiary burster was an auction find, I placed an intact M4 from the collection last for a comparison.

DSC_1296.jpgDSC_1305.JPGDSC_1306.JPGDSC_1307.jpgDSC_1298.jpgDSC_1299.JPGDSC_1300.JPGDSC_1301.JPGDSC_5038.jpg

Last edited:
Spot on. M49A4E1, dated 1971.

The first time I saw an M720 series in the field was in the late 80s early 90s, with the Army Rangers the first ones showing them off, in a training exercise with the French Foreign Legion. I have an M49A4 shown below which is dated 1975. I also have a practice XM720 which is dated 1975.

1975 M49A4 DSC_5761.jpg

stamped markings from 1971 M49A4E1 (M720) DSC_1302.JPGDSC_1303.JPG

Last edited:
Been a busy fall, too much work and family illness to deal with. Unfortunately no time to post much. Got a few pieces over the months though, thought I'd try and get a picture or two out.

The 16-inch/13.65-inch discarding sabot dummy was a nice find, not a lot of them around. I just got the 1-inch today, a decent find for $15. I'm not sure about the cartridge case shown to the left of it. It was with a group of ordnance pieces, and it has what appears to be a twisted steel rod jammed into the case. It is considerably larger than the 1-inch, but no stamped markings and I'm not sure about the primer pocket. Looks to worn and well done for a fake?

DSCN6072.jpgDSCN6074.jpgDSCN6075.jpgDSCN6076.jpgDSCN6078.JPGDSCN6079.jpgDSCN6085.jpgDSCN6089.JPGDSCN6091.JPGDSCN6093.JPG