What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

Got it from a Czech EOD facility, they guys said it had been a collaborative effort with the Soviets - died in 91-92.

Thanks again, the smaller Soviet APFSDS items seem to be very difficult to find.

Dave.

Went to a very small militaria show on Sunday, less than 25 tables. Still, not so bad. The case for M14s with empty containers set me back $25, and I bought the 37mm just because I'd never seen one of the training rounds that size before. It has the typical hole in the case and wooden block inside, a banged up case but not so bad. I've been wanting to pick up a 504 for a long time now, but never got around to it. This one was held by a guy I've known for a long time, he looks to be on the decline and is getting rid of some stuff, so I took the plunge.

DSC_9406.JPGDSC_9405.jpgDSC_9404.jpg

Been a long cold winter (snow expected this weekend) but it is finally starting to look up. Here are a couple of the most recent pieces.

DSC_9533.jpgDSC_9562.jpgDSC_9590.jpgDSC_9591.jpgDSC_9592.jpgDSC_9592a.jpgDSC_9593.jpgDSC_9594.jpgDSC_9595.JPGDSCN5773.jpg

CDM-1A - Convoy Defense Mechanism It mounted in rows along the sides of 2 1/2 ton trucks, etc. The document on this is great, shows the test pieces where they trialed claymores, then multi-barreled shotgun concepts and then settled on these. 1 oz of C4 per, dozens around the vehicle. The doc says that quite a few were sent to Vietnam for testing in the field, but this was the first I'd heard of it.

I hadn't seen that one before. I've seen the multibarrel 22 one and my rifle coach from College was a Green Beret and told me of putting claymores around the outside of a gravel truck that also mounted 50 cal. They called it the War Whore.

The item in the last photograph, is it a 2.75-inch "recoilless rocket" with spin stabilized projectile having twin rocket nozzles (rocket assisted projectile?)?

Last edited:
I would probably describe it as a rocket boosted recoiless projectile, but that is just based on the construction. It is another variation of the 70mm that we discussed a few months ago, I have no documentation yet on this variation. The projectile looks nearly identical to another I posted earlier, but with no external central piece from the rear.

I hadn't seen that one before. I've seen the multibarrel 22 one and my rifle coach from College was a Green Beret and told me of putting claymores around the outside of a gravel truck that also mounted 50 cal. They called it the War Whore.

Seems like most of the Claymore efforts did not work so well.

doc 1.JPG

I've been wanting to pick up a 504 for a long time now, but never got around to it. This one was held by a guy I've known for a long time, he looks to be on the decline and is getting rid of some stuff, so I took the plunge.

View attachment 99951

How many of these actually have all matching components? That is the serial numbers on the J-Feder, box and pamplet all match up?

I seen some that do and a number that don't and a number missing bits - considering that most of these were never used (?), one would think they all would have matching serial numbers?

Cheers
Drew

As mentioned previously, we do a lot of training with different groups at all levels. A number of our regional folks have taken advantage of this to request specific training, some have done numerous sessions to slowly build a specific knowledge baseline. As part of this we had a training day last week where they had requested the opportunity to use some of their diagnostic equipment against ordnance targets. Thought I would share a few of the images.

Image21a.jpgImage23a.jpgImage24a.jpgImage25a.jpgImage26b.jpgImage28.jpg

Looks like the wires got separated from the fuze on your LAW rocket, which leads me to believe that the area behind the cone is empty.

Last edited:
I've got a few other pictures, I'll try and get them on later. One more class tomorrow, (basic stuff), then its time to start preparing for SLICS. Early departure this morning, no time.

SLICS opens to the public this morning. Plenty of good ordnance pieces. For those who arrive early to set up tables and begin trading in the hotel rooms it started several days ago, it has already been a great show, I have gotten a couple of fantastic items, many good items and have seen many more that have ended up in other collections, to include at least 2-3 members of the forum. My best purchases have been US, have seen some nice foreign pieces as well, to include some interesting Jap pieces. I'll try and take a few show pics later today if I can break loose, pics of my finds will be posted later. Anyone attending can stop by to dump your stuff and relax for a bit, we have two tables left of center as you enter, two thirds of the way back. Just look for the ordnance books.