What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

Latest finds. Several are pieces that were donated.

DSCN4977.JPGDSCN4978.jpgDSCN4985.jpgDSCN5030.jpgDSCN5054.jpg

Everything looks new! Never seen the Jap fuze in black before. The aircraft rocket is mint, too bad you didn't get a casing with it. The Chem submunition and Picric Acid box are nice too! Looks like a great weekend haul.

The fuze is steel, as the war went on you start to see fuzes - especially bomb - part steel then eventually all steel. The projo fuzes can be more difficult to find, especially in good condition. The rocket was a lucky find, just got it this morning at a local militaria show - 29 tables and only 10 dealers.

Kind of a strange coincidence since you just posted photos of the round on the museum display thread.

Latest finds, a reasonable start to the new year.

DSC_7938.jpgDSCN5284.JPGDSCN5418.JPGDSCN5423.JPGDSCN5424.JPGDSCN5431.JPGDSC_8008.JPGDSC_7904.jpg

Jeff, I hope you are well these days. Great Japanese stuff! I see you picked up a Naval type 3 mortar shell, that's a good find. The Type 1 47mm AP is scarce and the steel fuze for the finned bangalore torpedo is quite rare. The steel type 88 short delay fuze with shipping can is the first I've ever seen. I have two steel Type 88 instantaneous fuzes but not a short delay steel fuze. That's a rare one. I seem to recall you own a steel type 100 mortar fuze and now a steel Type 88 short delay fuze. Have you every seen a steel Type 93 mortar fuze? I have not.

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance at Yahoo.com

This is a great thread, I spent an hour looking at all these pictures! Great stuff. I really like that sectioned Japanese Type 91 spigot rifle grenade.

I don't think I've seen a completely steel one, but in photographing different collections I believe I've seen one that was part steel, perhaps just the base. Need to dig through the pictures - Occasionally you see both the projectile and bomb fuzes where they only replaced one section with steel construction, not always the same section. It can make for some unusual looking fuzes. Just makes more to collect.... Let me know when you want to come back this way again and we'll dig out some documents and photos.

Caught an interesting gunshow yesterday. I picked up a small group of 20mm at a great price. There were more available, but after some discussion the vendor agreed that selling items still HE filled was perhaps not the best career decision, and they have since been turned over to a local squad for destruction. Still, the remaining rounds include a couple of .60 cal, five WWII German rounds and an interesting mix of US. So far all have cleaned up nicely.

Can anyone tell me the meaning of the markings on the gray projectile, front row, third from the left? Stenciled "F. IN" in large black letters on a gray background. Fuze is a MK 26, case is a MK 2 dated 1943. Thanks.

DSC_8020.jpg

The German 2cm MGFF Explosive Incendiary Tracer is one of the best examples i have ever seen, rather jealous indeed. As for the MK26 fuzed Oerlikon i dont know not seen one of those before marked up like that.
Best regards Weasel.

It's a 20mm MG151 Mauser gun.
The MGFF has the rebated rim shellcase as the 20x110 Oerlikon.
Right?

Regards, DJH

Yes you are quite correct I had missed my obvious mistake as these rounds are a favorite of mine :)
Best regards Weasel.

wow us-subs bombatorium is looking great i havent been online in a while so catching up on some of my favourite threads

best regards lee

Some nice finds today, plus a couple more that have been trickling in over the last few weeks. Apologies for any I've already shown - the rocket warhead I showed before - but it wasn't mine then -
Of particular interest are two of the grenades that I got today. The first appears to be a variation of a Japanese Type 99, or Type 99 practice. The fuze is soft lead, with markings shown magnified in the follow-on photos. The lower portion has been cut off, for unknown reasons. The fuze has a hole in the bottom going up into the body of the fuze. I've placed the grenade between a normal Type 99 and the normal practice version as well. This grenade has a normal open (fill-able) body, though the walls seem slightly thicker.

The blue practice grenade is the small bottom version, in excellent condition. It is stamped with a sideways T. The fuze has the short spoon and is stamped M10. I do not believe I have seen the support attachment under the fuze before on any I have handled, but maybe I was not paying attention. Is this common?

DSC_8262.jpgDSC_8269.jpgDSC_8271a.jpgDSC_8270a.jpgDSC_8270b.jpgDSC_8267.jpgDSC_8268.jpgDSC_8232.jpgDSC_8237.jpgDSC_8238.jpgDSC_8244.jpgDSC_8246.jpgDSC_8065.jpgDSC_8257.jpgDSC_8258.jpg

OK, dirt cover. Are they really that rare? I may have a lead on another one, but don't have the time to waste if they are not that hard to find.

Not common, but they're out there. Somebody was crankin' out replicas of the cover a while back. A desirable addition when found.