What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

Picked this up today, kind of a surprise as it showed up within 20 miles of home. Of earlier manufacture than I normally collect, it is a 3.67-inch Civil War James projectile. Being that it was so close and at a great price, it was more than I could resist and I drug it home. It has a bit of gold paint and was doing duty as a door stop when I found it, but a nice piece nevertheless.

DSCN3976.jpgDSCN3979.jpg

Nice bullet. They command high prices on your side of the pond I believe.
Thanks for showing it.
Dave.

Yes, nice bullet! The odd civil war projectile is always a nice curious piece to add to the collection.

Hi Sbs,
Is that a stamp at 2:00 on the second image? If so what does it say. They are not normally stamped.
John

John,
I have not tried to clean it up yet, but it looks like someone had a label on it at one time. The guy I got it from said it had belonged to his father-in-law who died recently. He had no further use for it and just wanted it to go to someone that would preserve it. I'll try and clean the base a bit for closer examination before I figure out how to strip the paint.

Subs I bet you got it for a song and a dance.
No fuze in it so it is a Federal James Bolt.
Below is the shell version with a simple impact inertia fuze. It has an additional ring at the base which yours does not have by design.
My rendering deicts the make up of the sabot.
Regards,
John
FederalJamesShellwithsabotvew.jpg

Just back from SLICS, had a good show, saw several members there.Managed to find a number of nice pieces, mostly small stuff, but a little mid-range and one large piece. Had some stuff I picked up prior to the show as well so I thought I would update and throw it all on.

Got some very nice 40mm, 30mm, 25mm stuff, a good assortment of fuzes, a well marked M1 mine and a very rare glass version of the M5 non-mag mine. A broad selection of small arms that included the long Japanese 37mm case (large primer), some new .60 cal variations and a nice 1-inch gatling gun round. Added a couple of pin-flare/gas launchers, a group of wrenches, some nice books, but only a couple of submunition pieces. The blanks were a donation for the collection, and the 6-inch projectile is a 6" 47 HC. Picked up a couple of new flechettes, the best of which are the mass-stabilized (bottom 3). Also got a nice MK 5 Drift Signal and M1 CN Candle.

One of my favorite new pieces however is a beat up box. I'm not normally a box collector, but this ugly, over-painted crate is the first one of its kind I've ever seen. A welcome piece.

DSCN4403.jpgDSCN4404.jpgDSCN4405.jpgDSCN4406.jpgDSCN4407.jpgDSCN4409.jpgDSCN4411.jpgDSCN4412.jpgDSCN4413.jpgDSCN4416.jpgDSCN4417.jpgDSCN4429.jpgDSCN4432.jpgDSCN4420.jpgDSCN4426.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN4408.jpg
    DSCN4408.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 136
Just back from SLICS, had a good show, saw several members there. Managed to find a number of nice pieces, mostly small stuff, but a little mid-range and one large piece. Had some stuff I picked up prior to the show as well so I thought I would update and throw it all on.

Got some very nice 40mm, 30mm, 25mm stuff, a good assortment of fuzes, a well marked M1 mine and a very rare glass version of the M5 non-mag mine. A broad selection of small arms that included the long Japanese 37mm case (large primer), some new .60 cal variations and a nice 1-inch gatling gun round. Added a couple of pin-flare/gas launchers, a group of wrenches, some nice books, but only a couple of submunition pieces. The blanks were a donation for the collection, and the 6-inch projectile is a 6" 47 HC. Picked up a couple of new flechettes, the best of which are the mass-stabilized (bottom 3). Also got a nice MK 5 Drift Signal and M1 CN Candle.

One of my favorite new pieces however is a beat up box. I'm not normally a box collector, but this ugly, over-painted crate is the first one of its kind I've ever seen. A welcome piece.

View attachment 76594View attachment 76595View attachment 76596View attachment 76597View attachment 76598View attachment 76600View attachment 76601View attachment 76602View attachment 76603View attachment 76604View attachment 76605View attachment 76606View attachment 76607View attachment 76608View attachment 76609

With the HS marking, is that sulphur mustard?

Tom.

With the HS marking, is that sulphur mustard?

Tom.

The agent code "HS" has different meanings dependant on whether it's a UK or US code.
For the UK, it would indicate Mustard diluted with about 15% Carbon Tetrachloride.
For the US, it denotes Mustard manufactured by the Levinstein process which is Sulphur Mustard and as this box contained US M46 bombs this would be the correct agent designation

Cheers

Pete

Thanks, I had a chance for a similarly marked 5", but I was driving the Prius and weight was becoming a factor - I've got the 5" on a layaway plan.

Nice haul, looks like you picked up a really good eclectic mix of all sorts of ord related goodies. I also see a copy of Vol2 of the 37mm a gun for all nations book. Cant wait to get my copy.
Best regards Andy.

Spoke to the author, he says that he is working on Vol 3 but that it is getting difficult - he may have to split it up into more volumes and it will take him years.

Not finding an awful lot recently, a couple of pieces a week, but mostly duplicates. Where I have been receiving some pieces is in the commercial/police line of stuff. Not one of my main areas, but ok, you take what you find. I was "gifted" with a box of new stuff recently, enough to make me decide that it was time for a new cabinet. This gets most of the police RCA type stuff in one area, and keeps the live stuff (some smoke and tear) away from curious fingers. DSCN4788.jpgDSCN4790.jpgDSCN4791.jpgDSCN4792.jpgDSCN4793.jpgDSCN4794.jpgDSCN4795.jpg

Been a pretty slow summer (too much work), but still managing to find a few pieces. Here are the summer additions so far.

DSCN4855.JPGDSCN4857.JPGDSCN4863.jpgDSCN4864.JPGDSCN4867.JPGDSCN4909.jpgDSCN4911.jpgDSCN4912.JPGDSCN4914.JPGDSCN4917.JPGDSCN4920.JPGDSCN4921.JPGDSCN4922.JPGDSCN4926.JPGDSCN4930.JPGDSCN4931.JPGDSCN4932.jpg

I read somewhere that they use the non-lethal Claymores around the White House.

First time I've seen the DM firing device, anyone got a document?

This is the DM1474 tilt fuze (actually igniter), it is only used with DM16 and DM26 trip flares. They replaced the older models whcih were very simple and dated back to WWII designs. They are in use since at least 2003.

Here a scheme and a setup instruction.

Zwischenablage01_zps808e6df9.jpg

002_zpsacf8aec3.jpg