What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

Jeff, the grenade between the 2 Jap grenades - I took some pics of grenades at the Vietnam war museum a few years back and it looks just like one of the modified grenades used in one of their improvised launchers. but my pics are not close enough to tell it these are the same fuze, just close resembles each other. Have been trying to get better pic of the launched version, as I have decided to write a new ord book on NVA/VC ordnance. Right now just collecting pics and docs, and laying out the flow.

That would be an interesting twist. The piece came from a garage sale, in with some deceased WWII vet's belongings. I've never seen a fuze like this on anything Vietnamese, but I've never seen anything like it on Japanese either. I was hoping someone might be able to relate to the markings.

I know that there have long been reports of Japanese ordnance appearing in VN, normally assumed to be Chinese passing on WWII remnants left behind by the Japanese. Not sure about this though. Can you e-mail me the pictures? I'll have to dig through my photos from the Hanoi Military Museum and see if I find anything close.

Hello US subs. That is an interesting grenade. I'll check through my saved pictures files but the only vc-japanese copy grenade pics at hand are these from an old ebay auction 7 or so years ago. I wish I got this one. Strange. If your grenade is Japanese improvised type its a kind I've not seen. This is one of my favorite threads on BOCN.

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance At Yahoo.com

VC copy Japanese grenade from the good old days of ebay.
vc jap grenade 3.jpgvc jap grenade 4.jpgvc jap grenade.jpg

I miss those good old ebay ordnance days.....

Last edited:
From a Vietnamese museum. Here's something a bit similar but it has a different fuze and the body has serrations. Hmmmm.......still looking through my picture files....

Jim

I do not know where I got this picture from.
collection of early Vietnamese Hand grenades Museum 2.jpgcollection of early Vietnamese Hand grenades Museum.jpg

This showed up on ebay last year. It was described as a Resin copy of a Japanese grenade. I don't want to cast doubt on the grenade in question with this picture. I wonder if the maker of this "Copy" copied something other than a real Japanese grenade. I'm posting pictures of anything that looks similar.

resin copy jap grenade looks orig nva 2.jpg

Jim

There's no doubt that the first two look like knock offs of a Type 97, but with typical VC fuzes. The third looks like the same body as the first two, but the fuze closer to mine. Do the markings on mine look like anything you've seen before?

Jeff these are pretty much the same pics I have from the museum. As best I can remember and am looking for the references now, the jap stuff was seen mostly during the Viet Minh age and early into the US - NVA/VC time frame. The picture with the nose fuze and safety pin could be a improvised VC mine or one they used in their projected munitions. There was a launcher that would propell 20 or so of these at one time. But again that was early the war for the US. I remember the 60's covered that launching system (think it was 60L 36) the improvised grenade ws in an old 1385 pub I believe).

It would be good to lock it down, but I'm just as happy to get it, either way. A new piece is always welcome.

VC modified grenades_Page_1.jpg These come from TM9-1385-76/2, Grenade, listed as instantaneous for boobytrap, or as a mine. 60L 36-2-4 (and I am pulling this from memory and notes), listed them as improvised projected munitions, a black powder propelling charge propell 20 or so of these grenades out. The long nosed fuze has a set back fuze that hit a pyro delay primer (5 to 7 seconds). there is also one that looks the same but is impact fired. In one of the old French pubs, with the Viet Minh they refer to these as 50mm improvised projectiles that are fired from a 50mm mortar tube or an improvised tube.

Jeff, No, I have never seen a fuze or markings like that. Very interesting grenade~!

Jim
Japaneseordnance at yahoo.com

Speaking of Vietnamese, this week has been good to the collection. Latest additions- No idea what the commercial grenade fuzes are to - the lower ones are for smoke/RCA, the upper ones all originally had blasting caps. No markings on anything.

DSC_8290.jpgDSC_8291.jpgDSC_8294.jpg

Yup, looks like they were split, emptied and re-soldered back together, well done. Kudos to Ivan for fixing a deal gone south. Very pleased.

Jeff, post 80, what is the small apfsds in the photo please? I don't recognise it.

Dave.

Attachments

• APFSDS.jpg
    APFSDS.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 171
Unknown. I bought it in a group of parts/pieces some years ago and have not identified it yet. I hope to be back home in a few days, send me a PM this weekend and I'll try and get you a better picture and a few measurements.

The fins look like the ones on 25mm chain gun APFSDS-T projos, maybe an AAI experimental?

Got in last night post midnight after driving from Iowa. I've got a range day tomorrow that I have to prepare for, but will try to address this and other questions this weekend.

Sorry, forgot all about it until I was reminded.

D - 30mm
OAL - 153mm
Sabot L - 78mm

3 piece sabot, typically marked for test purposes (each piece numbered)

IMG_0272.jpgIMG_0273.jpgIMG_0274.jpgIMG_0275.jpg

Sorry, forgot all about it until I was reminded.

D - 30mm
OAL - 153mm
Sabot L - 78mm

3 piece sabot, typically marked for test purposes (each piece numbered)

View attachment 98368

Thanks Jeff appreciated, very nice items.
So.....one question leads to another........ what is the case in the top of the photo?
Dave.

Got it from a Czech EOD facility, they guys said it had been a collaborative effort with the Soviets - died in 91-92.