What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

I got mine from a wanna-be collector that got his before the prices got stupid - then spent the next five years wondering what he'd done. Came out of Dayton. No shipping quote, just me, my truck and U-Haul (with full insurance selected).

HAZ

I believe you are correct. The "big" adapter doesn't seem as apparent on US's specimen.

Here they are, seperated from the projectile:
Projectile, 16in..jpg

Jeff,

Good Idea on the insurance. I see the Mk19 Mod 0 is the designation for one of the Submunition rounds. Are you going to paint it as a regular HE or a Submunition projo?

Last edited:
Don't know yet - as it has never been painted I'm not to concerned about changing any original markings and the submunition round was basically the HE round anyway.... Was the MK19 the designation for the M43 carrier or for the M42 carrier?

It was the M43 grenades. For reasons beyond me, the other loading didn't make it into TM 43-0001-28, at least the non classified version.

Attachments

• 16 inch ICM1.jpg
    16 inch ICM1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 16 inch ICM2.jpg
    16 inch ICM2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 28
Really nice bullet Jeff, I've always wanted one of the large battle ship shells but never could work out how to get it from A to B and into the house without breaking something important!
Thanks for showing it.
Dave.

Very nice shell, i do like those especially when you are stood next to one and you get a real sense of the size of these things and you start to wonder about the forces involved in getting them in the air. Congratulations on adding one to the Bombatorium, i had a 15" British one for a while and understand where SG500 is comming fromi managed to get it to within a mile of my house but there was no way i could get it in the door.
Best regards Weasel.

Picked up a couple of new pieces today. Mostly small stuff, but a couple of hard to find pieces. How many of you recognize the cardboard tube on the left?

DSCN3564.jpg

Picked up a couple of new pieces today. Mostly small stuff, but a couple of hard to find pieces. How many of you recognize the cardboard tube on the left?

View attachment 69198

Nice find on that French fuze, I have a factory cutaway of one of those and have been looking for a complete one to display with it for ages, I've yet to find one!

Thanks, can you confirm this marking? Looks to me like the fuze was made after June of 1940?

DSCN3566.jpgDSCN3566a.jpg

Received some "Bling" today, a gift from some kind local folks. I'm not normally big on chromed ordnance, but these are complete and very nice, plus it is hard to beat the price.

DSCN3829.jpgDSCN3830.jpg

As long as I'm posting, it has been a while since I've put anything on from the Japanese side. Here are some of the pieces I've piceked up for the collection over the summer. The 50mm was nice because of the "bring-back" paper tucked into the bottom.

DSCN3780.jpgDSCN3783.jpgDSCN3784.jpgDSCN3785.jpgDSCN3786.jpgDSCN3787.jpgDSCN3788.jpgDSCN3822.jpgDSCN3782.jpgDSCN3781.jpg

Very nice pieces, Jeff!
Please can you send some more pictures from the first 81mm mortar grenade?
Wich country made it? This is very similiar as the Hungarian models.

That is the 8cm Japanese Naval mortar projectile. This one was painted a hideous bronze by a veteran, who then painted the names of the locations where he fought up and down the sides, in an equally attractive green paint. I've got some photos in the Handbook of some with original paint and markings, if I get time I'll try and upload some tonight.

Sorry APFSDST, got busy and forgot. Here is a much nicer picture of one of the nicest I've seen, belongs to a friend. My piece, the repainted war souvenir is on the right.

D-O-MTR-JPN-022.jpg DSCN3780a.jpg

Some new pieces in this week - a 105mm T-382 proof round I've never seen before, another 20mm, a pretty little Mills and an unusual pencil holder, in that it was mailed to me from Japan. Enjoy.

DSCN3932.JPGDSCN3933.jpgDSCN3916.jpg DSCN3917.jpgDSCN3919.jpgDSCN3920.jpgDSCN3921.jpgDSCN3931.jpgDSCN3927.jpgDSCN3923.jpg